PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on LS1 install

Formula54
05-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Hey everyone I am new to the site, I have a 67 Firbird 400 that at the moment has a 428 with no power I purchased a 2000 Firebird LS1 stock motor with 20,000 miles and a 6 speed tranny My question is what brand of heads cam and headers should I use to get the best results for HP I would like to do all my mods while the motor is out dont want to have to go back in after its been installed any Ideals? Thank you in advance for all and any input you guy's can give me.

Ralph LoGrasso
05-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Formula,

Welcome to the site. You really can't go wrong with any of the major tuners for heads. I'd go with a Stage 2 head. Something from Cartek, MTI, TSP, or any of the other major tuners would work great. The new AFR heads look to be good as well. As for the cam, that is basically up to how much power you're looking to make, and how agressive of an idle you want. There are a ton of grinds, and most shops will do a custom grind as well. Something like a 224/224 should make around 410-420rwhp with all bolt-ons, LTs and a free flowing exhaust (M6 car). There are guys running much larger cams on stock cube LS1s, though. A 231/237 cam seems to be pretty popular these days, and then there are even larger grinds 240+/240+. but the idle with any of these cams is going to be very aggressive. Larger grinds with all bolt-ons, and Stage 2 heads are making 440+rwhp. For hours of reading on the subject, browse the internal LS1-6 engine section of www.ls1tech.com. Purchase the cam from whoever you buy the heads from, and let them know your goals and setup, and they should be able to set you up with a cam that will get you to your goals.

On the headers, I'm not sure if any makes a LT for first gens w/ ls1s. I know that Stainless works makes a set if you convert to R/P and I heard they were coming out with one for use with a regular steering box setup, but I'm not sure if they're available yet. There are several companies that make shorties, but you're better off just running some LS6 manifolds and saving some money if you go that route, they flow just as well.