PDA

View Full Version : 1968 firebird vin issue

68firechicken
11-16-2010, 07:38 PM
I purchased a firebird off of ebay, and didnt think to ask what the vin number was before i had bought it. After looking at it the vin tag had been pryed from the dash. So I went to look on the subframe, and after i actually looked close at it, my subframe is from a 2nd gen pontiac, also with no vin tag. It came with no title only bill of sale. I realize this was a rookie mistake, but is there anything I can do with this car or just junk it? Keep in mind its just a project car in need of everything!

Northeast Rod Run
11-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Check to see if the VIN goes to a stolen car?

turn it into a race car?

Get in touch with the seller and clear it up?

Put a claim into Ebay (did you use PayPal?)

Rhino
11-16-2010, 07:53 PM
It honestly depends on the state you live in. In Kansas you'll need to know the true VIN and have to be able to verify the partials. There will be two partial vins on the firewall. One near the heater blower motor opening, the other will be located under the cowl on the passenger side of the car. Kansas also has provisions for a state assigned VIN usually associated with kit cars.

Unfortunately, without a title I think you may be in for a fight. Your best bet may be to take the bill of sale and apply for a lost title. Once you have the title in hand take the car to get inspected.

63SW
06-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Look up BRODWAY TITLE SERVICE ...
States vary , make a call to your DMV and just ask what your state requires ...
Maybe a police check will help the process ,
as far as the VIN ...thats a tough one but maybe you can get a builders tag like rhino says but not being a "kit car and have a MFG VIN previously , not sure you can get one.
JUST GOT TO TRY and ASK.

dontlifttoshift
06-15-2011, 10:36 AM
DO NOT look up broadway title service. Many states (here in Illinois especially) are cracking down on these "registrations" that pass as titles in New York and other states.

Got to your dmv and apply for a lost title but with no VIN tags anywhere be prepared to jump through a lot of hoops.....Good Luck!

MrQuick
06-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Check to see if the VIN goes to a stolen car?

turn it into a race car?

Get in touch with the seller and clear it up?

Put a claim into Ebay (did you use PayPal?)

try this first....how much did you loose on the deal?

jfreakofkorn
08-09-2011, 03:05 PM
68 Bird is similar to a 68 camaro ( with some features changed ).
Heres a link to some VIN codes that can be found around on the car.
Also they might have one in the cowl panel area at where the grill is between the windshield and the hood
( I found that one at when I had a 69 Camaro )
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml
Hope that this helps....

SLO_Z28
08-09-2011, 03:49 PM
I would immediately contact your local state police/highway patrol. Cars are stolen at an alarming rate.

No VIN = No car!

kochevy67
08-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Slow down everybody. Contact the seller first and try to clear it up. As far as Broadway Title I have to agree you should stay away from them. I would hold off on contacting the Police as this may cause some unwarranted attention. If your not comfortable get your cash back, then alert the authorities. I can tell you one thing, the Police cannot get your money back for you.

SLO_Z28
08-09-2011, 07:44 PM
I can tell you one thing, the Police cannot get your money back for you.

Yeah, the courts do that.

Tuske427
02-10-2012, 10:41 PM
So, what ever happened with this?

For what it's worth- I purchased a car sight unseen form out of state and that had the VIN tag missing. I took it to my local CHP and they issued a "replacement VIN" tag for it. They used one of the hidden stamped serial numbers on the car. Problem was solved, and was less than $50...

nibby1
03-01-2012, 06:23 PM
I purchased a firebird off of ebay, and didnt think to ask what the vin number was before i had bought it. After looking at it the vin tag had been pryed from the dash. So I went to look on the subframe, and after i actually looked close at it, my subframe is from a 2nd gen pontiac, also with no vin tag. It came with no title only bill of sale. I realize this was a rookie mistake, but is there anything I can do with this car or just junk it? Keep in mind its just a project car in need of everything!

I have all tags and paper work for a 68 firebird convertable $1000

SLO_Z28
03-01-2012, 07:35 PM
I have all tags and paper work for a 68 firebird convertable $1000

Sooooooo illegal.