PDA

View Full Version : 1967 ls1

alnstr
08-29-2004, 11:05 AM
i was wondering what was involved when installing an ls1 into a 67 camaro. Any information and/or pictures would be great. Thanks for any help.also which transmission is better the 700r4 or the 2004r. my engine should make about 450 hp.

chicane67
08-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Engine mounts, exhaust headers or manifolds, fuel system changes and the transmission cross member.

We at ATS (http://t56kit.com) are in devlopment of a kit that does all of this. The engine mounts are probably the most tricky to do. I believe we are the only ones in current production of the mounts themselves. But everything else is pretty much strait forward. The electronics and fuel system obviously have their requirements to retro-fit and need to be thought out carefully.

As for a transmission, I would run a 200-4R over a 700.

Nine Ball
08-30-2004, 06:15 AM
you will also need a wiring harness, PCM, and electric fans to complete the swap, as well as the items chicane mentioned. Your choices on headers will depend on which steering setup you go with. Stainless Works sells long tubes for LS1 1st gens, but you have to change your car to a newer rack/pinion type setup. Otherwise there are some shorty headers from S&P if you keep the factory steering setup.

Check out the conversions forum on www.LS1TECH.com , there are a ton of us that have completed these swaps or are in the progress of doing them. Use the search feature and you will find hours of reading.

Oh yeah, and it isn't cheap to do this swap ;)

Tony

alnstr
08-31-2004, 08:57 AM
Is the kit from ATS a bolt in application? And how much will it cost?

chicane67
08-31-2004, 09:09 PM
Yes it is a bolt in.....and I have no idea on the cost of the kit at this time. You will want to e-mail Tyler for pricing.

zbugger
08-31-2004, 09:26 PM
If you're going with the LS1 engine, why not just go with the 4L65E to back it up? It's built to back up that engine anyway....... Plus it's brand new, and warrantied by GM.

alnstr
09-08-2004, 05:09 AM
thanks for all of the information guys ya'll have been a big help. the transmission will not be going into the same car as the ls1. i think that i want to put a six speed behind the ls1, but i'm a little short on cash right now so it will have to wait.

69speed
09-10-2004, 05:34 PM
Street and performance has an article about a 67 camaro LS1 install which you can download from their site. www.hotrodlane.cc
They are slow to ship their parts especially if any customizing is done (Like the modified oil pan you will need), but I am very happy with their quality.
Definately contact Kyle at Detroit Speed. He is very helpful.
Also, I would not hesitate to recommend Speartech for your harness.

I was suprised how much I have spent on all the parts needed for the swap, but I have also gotten a little carried away so I would STRONGLY recommend locating EVERYTHING you may need before and planning the purchases. For example, I did not think I would need to spend ~$1000 for my fuel tank then spend another $500 for brake and fuel lines........... The list goes on and on and on. My radiator was pricey too, Exceptional quality,but again could've saved a little here.
This site is by far the best source of info I have found, so you are definately on the right track. Good luck.

Patrolman808
09-14-2004, 05:55 AM
I'm doing the same swap in a '69 Firebird, but with the 6spd. I'm going with a 20 gal. aluminum fuel cell in the trunk in place of the stock tank, I think it was under $300, plus I plan to mini-tub it later and it saved $$ as far as a custom tank goes. I'm close to S&P, so I'll run up there and get my headers, motor mounts, oil pan, and fuel system. I'm a bargain shopper though, I just saved $200 on Ebay for my Comp Cams 921 spring kit and pushrods b/c I bought a L.G. Motorsports g5x3 cam. Just look around and you can find some deals here and there. It's not going to be cheap, but you'll be happy with it once it's done. I know I will.

MuscleRodz
09-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Year One carries an adapter bracket made by BMR that runs $175 pr. If you don't like the factory engine mount S*P makes a purdy replcement. Don't have their catalog in front of me for a price though.

Mike