PDA

View Full Version : Dry sump engine height drop

jp455
11-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Hello all, I looked at the instalation of dry sumped engines but didnt find any mention about what Im thinking. If you install a dry sumped LS7 or something like it, can the engine be dropped a lot more than a wet sumped engine? Are there special mounts to do this for say a second gen Camaro?

Yelcamino
11-10-2010, 10:00 AM
I might be out in left field, but I don't think the dry sump pan will give any more clearance to lower the engine. The sump part of a wet sump pan is either behind or in front of the crossmember. The shallowist part of the pan opposite the sump sits above the crossmember. I think a dry sump pan will need the same amount of clearance over the crossmember that a wet sump pan would need.

jp455
11-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Interesting. I thought of this but somehow thought the center section of the wet sump would be thicker due to the oil being in there as well as in the sump area, where the dry sump pan has all the oil in the tank.

hotrdblder
11-10-2010, 01:46 PM
no, generally the engine has to sit higher with a dry sump pan on ls engines. the pan ends up being thicker in the front then a wet sump. ls pans are very thin(3/4 of an inch) in the front 1/2.

CamaroAJ
11-10-2010, 02:15 PM
also just because you could have more clearance with a dry sump pan doesn't mean you'll have more clearance with the bell housing.

i could have lowered my engine another 3" to get it closer to the sub frame but then my bell housing would have been the lowest part of the car by a good 3" below the frame rails.

Gandalf
11-10-2010, 05:46 PM
From first hand experience - I agree with everything posted. Drysump pan is taller at front than stock f-body pan. Plus depends a little on the sub-frame you are running. With my Art Morrison sub, the dry sump pan barely clears the steering rack. Not an issue but the point being, you won't get the engine to sit any lower with a different pan. Plus what was said above about the remaining drivetrain anyway. Hope that helps. (By the way, I made similar assumptions until I had it all together and could see the different components and clearances).

jp455
11-11-2010, 04:01 AM
Thanks guys! Great info to keep in the data bank!