PDA

View Full Version : Thanks......now I've got the bug

SR71BB
11-10-2010, 05:46 AM
Thanks to Optima and anyone that help decide that my 73 TA was worthy to compete on Saturday. There were thousands of great cars at SEMA and to be picked out of that group was an honor. I had the TA built by Restore-a-Muscle-Car to be a Pro-Touring car, but after it was complete I felt that the car would end up running around Northern Colorado at car shows and some pleasure driving through the mountains.

After being selected to compete with guys that have been racing much of the year, I felt that the car was a worthy competitor. I had a blast with everyone. I haven't raced on a track in over 15 years. It was like jumping back on the bicycle though. It felt like I never left.

I had a 27 and 28th place finish in the Road Course and Autocross respectively. My overall score wasn't that great due to a horrible finish in the braking event, but I am very happy with my results.

We learned a few things about the car and with some suggestions from people at the track we will make some changes. Hopefully we will see you guys at other events this coming year.

A big thanks to DSE for all the help from Kyle and Stacy. We could not have competed without their help. We were not prepared to race and didn't have all the equipment and tools needed, so a BIG THANKS is needed.

James

RobNoLimit
11-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Glad you got the bug. Check out the Good-Guys for Auto-x events, also we have some So-Cal time attacks going on. Cool car, keepit up.

CarlC
11-10-2010, 11:19 AM
The bug is also known as a hit off the crack pipe. Once you try a track day, there's no going back. Rock chips become badges of honor.

That's a great car James. It was fun watching it on the course.

79T/Aman
11-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Glad you had fun James, let me know if you need help

Dave

formula
11-10-2010, 01:09 PM
If you give me your car RIGHT NOW you might still be able to escape with your wallet intact!

Seriously, it was a pleasure watching your beautiful bird run. Makes me want to build an early 2nd gen even more! I hope someday I can catch a ride in it so I can see how that big poncho feels compared to my LS!

ProdigyCustoms
11-10-2010, 01:18 PM
That car was awesome. Loved the theme.

You should add a pic to the thread

tellyv
11-10-2010, 02:35 PM
awsome car and it performed well you guys should be proud. Dave and the gang built an awsome ride!

SR71BB
11-11-2010, 06:02 AM
I forgot to thank Dave at Pro Touring F Body for helping out with some suspension adjustments too. Wes, what car did you have out there? I know I didn't see Formula 6.0 out there.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/11/087-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/11/046-1.jpg

tazzz25906112
11-11-2010, 06:33 AM
James I'm so glad to hear your car was selected and you had the experience of the Optima..... When I first saw your car at the TA Nationals I immediately sent Jimi an e-mail and indicated that it was a candidate that certainly was more than worthy of consideration... I look forward to driving and tearing the wheels cars off the TA's in 2011 pro-touring events and hope you will be coming to the "Run to the Coast" event in California in March as the season opener.......

Again stunning car, and great owner.
P.S. Dave not to be lost in all this,,,, you hit that car out of the park buddy,,, congratulations buddy.

formula
11-11-2010, 07:59 AM
I forgot to thank Dave at Pro Touring F Body for helping out with some suspension adjustments too. Wes, what car did you have out there? I know I didn't see Formula 6.0 out there.

I was actually only there by the grace of god and good friends--Jim Shipka was kind enough to sneak my father and I in on his "Pit crew" passes. My car's got a LOT of tuning to do before it's OUSCI ready. Hopefully I can have the car 100% for the next autocross season and get enough seat time to catch an invite next year.

SR71BB
11-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Can't wait to see it compete. Look forward to meeting you next time.

DLinson
11-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Nice looking car James. I didn't get to see you drive around the course but good job on the autocross and road course, I totaly hosed them myself. Hopefully we'll see you at some more events. This was my third event this year and I'm already looking forward to next year. I hope they do the Faceoff at Road America again, that was a blast. I also hope to attend the Gingerman event as well. Mabey even RTTH event. My wife needs to get a job so I can afford to go to more events.

You'll have fun at any event no matter how well you do. You will end up spending more money on new parts when the competative bug hit you. Just go with it.

Dennis

sevillaz28
11-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Your car looked great and it looked like you were doing pretty good on the road course. I think I have a few other pics of it going into tech.

I have had the bug for some time now and it whent into overdrive after this event. Maybe i will get an invite next year. 2 Projects in progress and I'm not holding back.

SR71BB
11-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Road coarse and autox felt great. Since the motor only had 400 miles on it and the tranny/rear end still had break in oil inside I didn't push it very hard. The combo of DSE and Pro Touring F-Body felt really stable and smooth. We are going to make at least a few events next year and we will be able to go all out. Can't wait for all this snow to melt!!