PDA

View Full Version : Electric fan switch?

my72vette454
08-29-2004, 08:48 AM
I have a thermostatic fan switch on my vette that I got from mid america that turns on my electric cooling fan, and it died. It screws into the head or intake and grounds out to turn on the fan relay when the temps get there. It is a low temp replacement for the C-4 switch. I tried to find one at the local parts house and they dont list any low temp ones in their books. Is there someplace to buy these switches other than the corvette vendors? Thanks in advance.

Mike

gmachinz
08-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Hey, Mike I was thinking of using a switch from an '88-'90 Camaro with TBI. I can't find how to look up the various temps that activate them, though. Where did you look? BTW, which pin # on your relay did you run the wire from the switch to? -G

blown69nova
08-30-2004, 07:09 PM
Hi guys, many places sell replacement switches such as DSE, Summit (Hypertech) Painless wiring ( fan thom) and even vintage air. The factory GM switches usually turn on at temps between 215-240 deg! I tried looking through Napa and delco books and they don't give exact specs. The #85 pin will go to ground or in your case the coolant fan switch. Hope this helps.

my72vette454
08-30-2004, 07:31 PM
I went to the local parts house and he looked up some switches for various applications and in the back of the book it has pics with specs for them. I needed a switch that is 3/8ths pipe threads and turns on at 180 but all the ones he had listed didnt turn on till 210 or so which is too hot for me. I have a 98 lincoln electric fan and a heavy relay that runs the fan so I dont know what to tell you about which terminals do what on your application. I would like to find out if my fan has 2 speeds or not...does anybody know the answer to that? Mine has 3 terminals on it but in messing around with it I only came up with one speed. It sure does cool good, I think it runs less than a minute and shuts off again. If I had a slow speed I could probably leave it on all the time and it would work a little better for the machine I have it on as I have a big trans cooler that needs a little airflow all the time. I guess I will go look in the summit mag and see what they have, I will have to order more parts though to get my 8.95 worth of "free" shipping and handling charges.

gmachinz
09-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Mike, you have email. -G

novaman_68
04-10-2005, 02:25 PM
I know about the factory switch turning on at 210 and saw this post and wondered if anybody found a part #. I would prefer to get this local (autozone,napa) and not from summit. Thanks :hmm: