PDA

View Full Version : rearend swap?

gsmith
11-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Hey guys, I have a 67 camaro with the Hothckis TVS kit and im looking for a good rearend swap. I have been told the 8.8 from a mustang would be a good choice. I would like to have a gear ratio somewhere in the 342 range with a locker, if possible. I also have the baer ss brakes on the front would like disc on the rear if possible. Can some kind of swap be possible on an budget? Thanks in advance.

ProdigyCustoms
11-03-2010, 04:51 PM
A 1995 up Ford Explorer is a bolt in 8.8 and will have disc brakes also

gsmith
11-05-2010, 03:38 AM
Thanks, Im gonna try to make it to the scrap yard this weekend and see what I can find. I just want to get as many options as I can. I know theres alot of explorers on the road over the years, so hopefully it shouldnt be to hard to find. Thanks again.

MrQuick
11-05-2010, 07:52 AM
if your going to the wreckers look for a 72-74 Chevy Nova 8.5 10 bolt. Bottom of the diff case will have corner tabs cast into it and a concave dimple in the cover. Not too bad to over haul and parts are redily available.
Also 9in diffs out of a 68-69 Cougars fit well. Might find one out there, we do out here.
I'd rather go through the trouble cutting a 2nd gen rear housing to fit than put an 8.8 in it. jmo

Vince