PDA

View Full Version : Pleasanton June 4th & 5th

TonyHuntimer
05-25-2005, 07:35 PM
Well,

Goodguys is right around the corner. I don't care if I have to get my car on 6 cylinders, it's going to be there. If it rains... no problem. I don't care.

Anyone else going? We need to start showing that Pro-Touring cars actually exist. Charley always shows, but we need a few more. :)

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

zbugger
05-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Well, Charley won't be there this time. I think that's the start of the Power Tour. I'm still not sure what day I'll be going, but I'll be there. Anyone else wants to show, cool. Vince, Dennis, Mike, anyone else want to hook up? We can make it fun!!!!

MrQuick
05-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Ahhh I gotta work Saturday,well I maybe busy sunday and I have to go to a Mopar show sunday morning in Newark. Gotta make money first!
Maybe we can meet up later....no I gotta deliver Mikes car. I think the shows gonna suck anyways.

dennis68
05-25-2005, 07:57 PM
I'm going Sunday I think. I'll know for sure by Friday.

TonyHuntimer
05-25-2005, 09:08 PM
:crying: WAAAAA!!!

At least one car will be representing Pro-Touring.com.

:)
Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Blown353
05-26-2005, 11:08 AM
I think I can actually make this one, and even bring my car! LOL. I just haven't had much free time lately, but next weekend looks OK...

DRJDVM's '69
05-26-2005, 08:54 PM
We'll be there Sat for sure....

I'm planning on parking near the "main stage" area (where they do the awards, raffle etc). Its close to the bathrooms and the "kids area" for my wife and 3 year old.

'69 red with white stripes, child seat in the back... stop by and say hi !!!!!

mdprovee
05-27-2005, 06:59 AM
I am going to try and go on Saturday, still up in the air though. I am going to meet Vince on Sunday to get my car from him. I can pick up the car later if you want to go to the show on Sunday Vince.

Mike

Fuelie Fan
05-27-2005, 08:03 AM
I'll be in the area, but for a bachelor's party. Normally I'd say cars first, but I think this is an exception. Maybe if we're not totally destroyed I may stop by on sunday

Blown353
05-31-2005, 09:17 PM
Still don't know if I can break free and make it, but how much is it to park inside?

zbugger
05-31-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm definitely there sunday. I'll try and be there around 9 am. PM me if you all wanna meet up somewhere.

MrQuick
05-31-2005, 10:29 PM
Unfortunetly, due to business obligations I will not make Sunday. If I do go it will be 6am to the swap meet on Saturday before work...gotta be back by 9:30.
Mike, lets shoot for 3:30 Sunday? Is that cool? Starting to clear out Oakland.
I hate to miss meeting you guys out there...next time.

mdprovee
06-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Ya 3:30 will work for me Vince. See ya then.

Mike

Overkill
06-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Depends upon how much I get done on putting a new engine in the Camaro. I found a little problem with the 327 once I got it started so it's coming out to either get rebuilt or replaced. If I replace it with a crate engine I may be doing that this weekend. Guess I should have torn it down to check it before I installed it...

It was nice to hear the car running after 4.5 years even if it was only on 6 cylinders...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/06/camaro_rebuild633-1.jpg

Michael

TonyHuntimer
06-04-2005, 07:06 AM
I have some last minute details to iron out, so I'll be there tomorrow (sunday)... as long as my evil plan falls into place.

:naughty:

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

TonyHuntimer
06-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Well....

My evil plan didn't work. Seems that I have two bad roller hydraulic lifters.
:banghead:

Looks like I may need to upgrade to a larger solid roller. I've always wanted more than 483HP and 550 foot lbs of TQ at the crank. The motor is overbuilt for the small camshaft I currently run.

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

MrQuick
06-04-2005, 05:46 PM
Damn that sucks Tony, I guess they can't make good hyd lifters anymore. I went solid myself. No other damage? Hope you get it together soon.
The show was cool, well at 7am that is. Lotsa good stuff to buy, I kept repeating "must resist!!!!" We'll try it again tomorrow. Not

TonyHuntimer
06-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Nothing else seems to be hurt.

Here's my problem...

The stupid number 1 and 4 cylinders just won't get hot. After running 30 seconds, you can hold the header primary tubes on 1 and 4 without burning your hand and the other 6 are friggin hot like they should be. The last thing I can think of would be the lifters. I'm going to check the lift tomorrow.

Cam is good, lifter rollers are good, compression is good (and no leakdown), pistons are good, plugs are good, wires are good, distributor is good, MSD 6AL is good, coil is good, intake is sealed good, and no vacuum leaks. When I say they are good, I mean that I've replaced them or tested another part in the place of the original one.

I don't know what else to look at. Any input?

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

jonny51
06-04-2005, 08:57 PM
I was thinking of stopping by tomorrow. :firefire:

MrQuick
06-04-2005, 11:06 PM
John, give Allen a call.
Tony, im not too familair with the set up your running. EFI? You didn't mention carburetor so I'll assume its EFI.
Is your engine ticking loud or noisy? Even if your lifters weren't opening all the way,the cylinder should fire...unless they are not opening the valves at all...unlikely but not imposible.
You can measure the lift at the spring with the egine running, compare with others.
Maybe Allen and I can come out for a looks see.

2 1/2 heads are better than 1. Im free after 4pm sunday.

dennis68
06-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Awful lot of credit with that second "1/2" aren't you Vince. :icon_razz

Tony, if those two are coll enough to touch running than you are missing one of the 3; air, fuel or spark. What is the dynamic compression like? Have you run leak down, static compression can be very deceiving? Even low pressure or poor valve train action should result in some fire. I would check for actual spark at the plug (pull the plug and fire the motor to watch the big blue arc) and maybe lift the fuel rail (assuming FI) to watch for fuel injector pulse.

TonyHuntimer
06-05-2005, 07:04 AM
It's actually a carb (850 DBL Pumper).

I've pulled the plug and watched it spark it's neat blue spark, so I know it's getting spark.

It's a dual plane Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, so cylinders 1-4-6-7 share one plane and 2-3-5-8 share the other plane. My problem with 1 and 4 have a "plane" in common, but I have a hard time believing that I'm starving 1 and 4 of fuel or air when 6 and 7 are not showing the same "cold" problems. ...but I will take a closer look at that this afternoon.

A preliminary static compression on 1 and 3 were 178 and 182

More later...

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

yody
06-05-2005, 09:45 AM
I'll be with vince, if you want us to come by, he's actually pretty good at trouble shooting, yeah i said it, vince is actually good for something!

TonyHuntimer
06-06-2005, 06:11 AM
I finally found the problem. The intake lifter on #4 is bad. It was causing #1 to have problems.

Now to see what happens. Crower doesn't make that lifter anymore.

:banghead:

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

yody
06-06-2005, 09:17 AM
how in the world does the #4 intake lifte cause the #1 lifter to act funny?

TonyHuntimer
06-06-2005, 02:05 PM
The only reason I can think the #4 intake lifter caused the #1 cylinder to be extremely cold is the fact that cylinder #1 and #4 are on the same "plane" on the dual-plane intake manifold. The engine never popped back through the carb or backfired out of the exhaust.

Intake lifter on cylinder #4 was hanging the valve open after startup. ...and it was not mis-adjusted.

I just remembered last night...On my second Hotchkis open track day I had that same lifter come loose when I was out on the track. It must have been going bad. That was before I installed my stud girdles and thought the adjustment nut came loose. Now I know different.

At least I found it. I'll pull it out tonight and send it out to a friend at Comp Cams. He said that his tech department can take care of it. It's great to have friends in the right places. :worship:

Thanks guys,
Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com