PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else gone with TBI?

Doober
10-29-2010, 02:03 AM
My current plan for the 383 I'm building for my truck involves TBI. I already have a 454 throttle body and already have a cam in mind. I'd like to convert to port injection in the future, but being this is my primary transportation I'm sticking with mostly stock parts that will be plug & play with the current TBI setup. I read about a TPI-fed 383 @ about 10.5:1 with ported L98 heads and it made good power & torque with the cam I have, which is part of the reason I chose it (the powerband is in a good range too).

david068513
10-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Go to thirdgen.org and read the tbi section. You will be amazed what people have done.

Doober
10-29-2010, 07:26 AM
I'm already on TGO ;) I'm just curious if anyone here has done it. I'm running an EBL setup on the TBI 4.3 that's in the truck, and it's been great so far.

david068513
10-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Which ebl? Dynamics?

I have a 305 tbi car as a DD that is modded decently in the susp department. I am adding headers, vortec heads from my other car that is getting afr's. They both are gonna be ran off the dynamics set up.

Doober
10-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Yep, DynamicEFI. Down the road I hope to make the change to TPI or other port injection, but like I said before the reason I'm sticking with TBI right now is because it's basically plug & play, and I don't have to make any changes to wiring, etc., and I'll be able to basically bolt the 383 in.

david068513
10-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Yea I'm using them also on my cars, I have a 1992 z28 tpi car also' I'm gonna leave my one car a tbi car and just do heads, cam, full exhaust and drive it. It's a low mile heritage car so don't want to tear it up to bad. Tell me how you like dynamics, I can't wait to get my together with everything.

Doober
10-30-2010, 02:24 AM
I like it a lot. Since the truck is currently a stock 4.3 I was able to flash it with one of the included tunes and it fired right up, and runs better than it did with the stock computer. With my truck's harness there is no air pump, so the plug for whatever valve is used with it was just tied to the harness at the factory... the cool thing is the EBL uses that wire for a trigger lead for an electric fan relay, which I plan on putting in eventually. The nice thing is I know it's there, and basically all I have to do is wire it up, and choose an on/off temperature in the tune. The What's Up Display already shows it sends a signal to turn it on when the A/C is on. I really want to get a wideband O2 sensor so I can tune this thing for WOT, but that's another $200+.

david068513
10-31-2010, 08:01 PM
I have heard great things about it. This will be my first time doing tuning but I plan to learn. As for you switching to muiltport have you considered a LT1 intake setup? Stealth ram? mini ram? super ram? They would work great on something with more power then stock.

I can't wait to start messing with dynamics!

Doober
11-02-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm pretty sure I won't be able to use an LT1 intake since it's reverse cooling. I am looking into other intakes besides TPI, but if they don't have EGR I won't be able to use them, at least so long as I live in the specific emissions-required areas.