PDA

View Full Version : Lamborghini goes airborn at the Texas Mile

DynoDon
10-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Video link of the Lambo that got off course and flipped at over 200 MPH. Crazy!
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20101026/CARNEWS/101029927

John Wright
10-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Good grief, it looked like once the chute was deployed he became a passenger and was just along for the ride. Glad to read that the driver was OK.

John Wright
10-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Another guy here had chute troubles:
remember this a while back?

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?60228-Bob-Johnson-rolls-the-XXLR-at-Bonneville&p=575437#post575437

Rybar
10-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Can't believe the guy survived that, that's amazing.

RS_Customs
10-27-2010, 04:02 PM
WOW! Glad he walked away. Speaks highly for safety equipment.

Robert

CarlC
10-27-2010, 04:50 PM
I wonder how many times, and at what progressively higher speeds, the chute was tested?

DynoDon
10-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Most guys who have been around Landspeed or Drag Racing will tell you that they don't believe the chute was the culprit. I know from my own experience of getting crossed up a bit in the lights at over 150, the chute will generally straighten the car back out.
I'm willing to bet that the right front tire either blew or there was a suspension faiure in the right front.

John Wright
10-29-2010, 03:04 AM
Most guys who have been around Landspeed or Drag Racing will tell you that they don't believe the chute was the culprit. I know from my own experience of getting crossed up a bit in the lights at over 150, the chute will generally straighten the car back out.
I'm willing to bet that the right front tire either blew or there was a suspension faiure in the right front.

What happens if the chute mounting points are too high or at a point where it lifts the rear tires and then add a cross wind hitting you at your 3 o'clock?....just askin', cuz I'm not familiar with travelling fast enough to need a chute...LOL

Vegas69
10-29-2010, 06:50 AM
I noticed he hit the brakes while the chute was being deployed. That would take the weight off the rear tires and the chute could cause the rear to get loose.

San Diego Camaro
10-29-2010, 07:48 AM
When I had my Ultima GTR I had it up to speed on several occasions. It is amazing how our perceptions change at speed of 150+. The normal person just can't understand as they watch the NASCAR or F1 drivers at 200 how odd that experience is until you've grown into it. I suspect that chute upset the balance of the car enough to drive it off course and there was nothing he could do about it. Glad he was ok.
Paul

Ron.in.SoCal
10-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Hey Paul - welcome to the site! I reviewed your webapage and drooled over the GTR. Musta been a fun build...

DynoDon
10-29-2010, 09:57 AM
At Carlsbad there was a dip in the road near the finish line, just about where my chute would come out. Quite a few times the rear wheels would come off the ground and the car continued straight no problem. At LA County Raceway you would get a pretty good side gust just past the grandstands as the chute would come out, a little hairier but I really think the chute help keep us straight. This was in an Anglia, a tall skinny car with a 90" (Short!) wheelbase, at about 160MPH.
Parachute height I'm sure has some play in this, Drag Car in the Fuel classes mount them to the rear axle, while many Bonneville cars seem to be quite high. Not sure what the answer is there.
It will be interesting to see what they find, I'm still betting on a right front corner problem, but I could be wrong