PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Track Layout for RTTC

sik68
10-25-2010, 12:42 PM
As some of you are aware, Top Gear USA is presently taping its first episodes, filmed at none other than El Toro Base. To parallel the British show, the episodes will feature the same Power Lap segment, where the featured car of the week will be driven around the track in anger to see how it competes with other cars on the leaderboard. Well, Jalopnik (http://jalopnik.com/5672084/top-gear-usa-the-stigs-new-track?skyline=true&s=i) is reporting that they obtained the layout of the El Toro test track to be used on the show, and have been kind enough to share.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

I am emphatically proposing that the RTTC road course event be run on the Top Gear USA test track. There are many advantages to this, including:

1) The skill level of the RTTC participants will be widely varied, but the commonality is that nearly of us will be driving dinosaur cars that we insist (read: hope) can keep up with modern machinery. For the talented drivers at the top of the pro-touring heap, being able to compare driver/car to those of a professional driver behind the wheel of varied modern machinery would be invaluable. Could this hobby's mantra finally be validated, or will we be eating some back-to-the-drawing-board humble pie? Running this track would create a lot more buzz and hype for the event, and playing Stig for a day is pretty much every gearhead's dream.

2) The work has been already done! The shows producers undoubtedly took the design of the track layout very seriously. It would be no surprise that they consulted track designers and drivers to lay out a track that would test the full spectrum of a car's abilities and the driver's guts. A pre-determined, well accepted design also stifles some of the complaints that inevitably creep up about configuration. On top of all this, utilizing this track would expedite quite a bit of the work by the RTTC chieftons, freeing their time up for other logistics.

3) A level playing field. I am not sure if the original intention of RTTC 2011 is to run the same configuration as 2010, but track familiarity is a legitimate factor at an amateur event, especially when the drivers get relatively few laps to show their stuff. A new track would clean the slate. In addition, the publicity of the event between now and then would mean that we will all have an opportunity to familiarize ourselves with the layout by watching the show, making for better driving come "race" day.

4) Bragging rights. I have read countless times on forums from people who who write "it would be soo cool to be able to drive the TG track." The British Top Gear is literally one of the most popular shows in the world. The fact that we're attempting a spinoff over herE is a daunting yet exciting prospect. If the show blows up to global proportions, it would mean a lot to us all if we could gloat to our buddies outside of the pro-touring scene by pointing to the TV and saying "I drove there!"

That is all! I hope this will work out!

-Steven

formula
10-25-2010, 01:22 PM
That looks FUN. I have no vote as I won't be attending, though.

Nessumsar
10-26-2010, 12:08 PM
I really like this idea Steven! I never thought to suggest something like this, it would be too cool to be able to compare our times to that of a pro in modern equipment.

jknight16
10-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Yep, great idea Steven. I can't find a downside to using the same layout. Heck, there may even be a decent bit of rubber laid down and the dust blown off.

Bill Howell
10-26-2010, 03:14 PM
I will pass this on to Nathan, the guy we contract with at El Toro. I don't see a problem, however, it can't interfere with the autocross track or speed/stop challenge course. Also, it has to fit in with his insurance program. Remember, we are not Top Gear, we are 150 protouring guys. I do like the setup though.

tazzz25906112
10-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Now that looks like way too much fun Bill,,,,, I can wait and hope it all works out....

79-TA
10-27-2010, 03:59 PM
I really like the idea, but you've overlooked one key detail. If USA Top Gear is like the British version, their timed laps are done with a standing start. RTTC must use hotlapping to keep things efficient. Of course, we could have our own standing start hot lap segment if we wanted. It'd just be like a big autocross.

CarlC
10-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Do it.

6'9"Witha69
10-27-2010, 04:50 PM
do it.

x2.

Matt@BOS
10-27-2010, 05:03 PM
X3

Looks like a lot of fun, with a good mix of corners thrown together. And that back stretch, all I can say is, better start practicing your downshifting boys...

It also looks like it would be harder to get lost on the track, like last year :hand:

Matt

SLO_Z28
10-27-2010, 06:19 PM
B1-C3 is fairly long, a high horsepower car could get a lot of MPH out there. A low horsepower car like mine would only hit about 90-100mph, but im scared to think what a car like motiv8r would hit. High speeds + widely varied driver skillsets could cause a lot of trouble.

That said the part of my brain that says you might die doing something like that doesn't work, and I wouldn't hesitate to take my car out there and run it to the edge of its capabilities and beyond. Plus being within AAA Plus towing distance of my house doesn't hurt. :D

Flash68
10-27-2010, 08:57 PM
damm!t that looks like fun.

MrQuick
10-27-2010, 09:10 PM
can we go through the hangar at B3?
GYMKHANA!!!!! HIYAAAAHHH!!!!

sorry (regains composure after getting yelled at by wife to get off of the desk)....

looks good Steven.

Larry Callahan
11-28-2010, 08:19 PM
It looks and sounds like fun but after watching Top Gear I wonder if it might be too fast? It might be a bit much for say someone as inexperienced as I am.

Vegas69
11-28-2010, 09:01 PM
If you look at the long straightaways, the driver will have the option to bail in a straight line. That was alos an option on both long straights at Spring Mountain which I didn't notice until my cool down lap. The question will be if it's a safety factor for other events.

After running RTTC last year, I can see the runway where we parked being a prime spot for a real winner of an autocross.

Rod
11-28-2010, 11:04 PM
:seizure: lets do it!!

MrQuick
11-28-2010, 11:06 PM
It looks and sounds like fun but after watching Top Gear I wonder if it might be too fast? It might be a bit much for say someone as inexperienced as I am.

If Buzz Aldrin and a lost Hobbit can do it.....you'll bust it up!! That bump in camera man turn might give a few guys trouble.

Just gotta beat 1:45

Damn True
11-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Genius idea. Yes, they drive supercars around it, but they also put douchey Hollywood weenies with Lloyds of London policies on their arses out there too. In the words of the great Jeremy Clarkson, "How hard could it be?"

Steve1968LS2
11-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Will the cars be parked there between D2 and D3? That should be challenging.. lol

Hey, I'm in no matter what he track looks like.. but that does seem to be a good layout.

sik68
11-29-2010, 11:23 PM
After watching a couple episodes now, I think the track is a great diversity test for a car. It's certainly bumpier than I thought an airport should be, so that will make for some great action. Quick direction changes, long sustained corners, kinks, chicanes, and even a decent straightaway. I seriously doubt that Viper could hit 150mph on that short straight as they claimed in episode 1. I'll scale the distance and do some comparisons tomorrow with other straights to see how fast they're really going.

SLO_Z28
12-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Here is a video of the track, 1:30 in for the good stuff.
rjr_EfvpAfU

Anyone care to predict their lap times?

The WidowMaker
12-01-2010, 08:23 PM
why is the video flipped backwards? copyright protection? looks like a sweet course though.

Flash68
12-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Damn, he is bouncing pretty good on there in a couple spots... rough track much?

shortrack
12-02-2010, 06:48 AM
A little late probably but if you had an issue at the end of the straight with the chicane in it at C1 (lock up/failure)I could see a problem with with hitting the cars exiting at....the other C1....Damn, I wish there was things like this around here!

And they got Rutledge Wood from SPEED (the bearded guy) being serious...wow

-The Stig-
12-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Looks like somebody stole my job.... b@st@ard. lol

CDMBill
12-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Running on the Top Gear USA track would be a nice comparison. I hope I do better than Buzz. That said does anyone have the ability or access to overlay last years' course to the TG track. At least we'd have some sense of comparability to last years' event.

I am happy if we don't have that concrete bowl left hand 180* sweeper, I think turn 5 (?) it just killed my right front tire. The guys who run the place told me they take new tires down to the cord in one day of their driving course on that turn.

73CPCAMARO
01-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Is there any news on the track layout this year? My concern would be top speed and safety with the various driver skill levels and car preparation. We all want to go fast (to a point) and be safe. With that, have a blast driving our _sses off!

Danny Thomas
01-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Track will most likely be same as last year

CarlC
01-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Run it clockwise!