PDA

View Full Version : Mini-tub project...what sequence??

BirdDrop
05-24-2005, 07:00 PM
hey guys. I'm about to install a DSE 3"mini-tub in my 67 Firebird convertible. I'm also going to replace the trunk pan and outter wheelhousing in the process. Now what should I remove first? Should I cut and installt he trunkfloor before beginning the mini-tub as I'll have to cut into it??

Also, If replacing both the inner and outter wheelhousing....should I just cut them out in one frame or should I remove the inner and then remove the outter seperately??
Thanks, Chris

baz67
05-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Wow, we have not had a minitub question in a while. Do both the inner and outer at the same time. You will need to cut some of the inner out to get to the outer out. They are both spot welded together in the trunk area. I will think on if you should do the trunk or tubs first because I am not sure.

Have you done a search yet? You will find many of your future questions answered by doing so.

rockdogz
05-24-2005, 10:06 PM
I did my trunk floor first on my '68 Camaro - it was a 'partial' from Classic Industries, and did not extend far enough forward to interfere with the inner wheelwells. I didn't like this partial floor because the seam that I had to weld would be so obvious - since I did mine I have seen some more complete pieces that extend further forward, and that have the trunk extensions together too. I had some issues getting mine to go in, but then again I'm new at this so I wasn't surprised - I plan on dressing up the trunk so you won't see any metal anyway. I then did the mini-tubs. I am now faced with replacing the rear quarter which would have been easier with the trunk out - so check and make sure you aren't going to have to do that too. To summarize, if your replacement trunk meets your inner wheelwells, then I would remove the trunk then do the minitubs, then replace trunk. Otherwise, I don't think the order matters. I would think the inner and outer wheelwells would be done at the same time. Check out my site for some pics.

Camaro Zach
05-25-2005, 12:03 PM
sequence doesnt really matter other than doing the inner/outers at the same time. And no you dont have to replace the outers when doing a minitub but it makes things ALOT easier
Good luck