PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 3" system

rockdogz
08-28-2004, 10:49 PM
I'm looking for a mandrel bent 3" system with X-pipe that I can install in my '68 Camaro. I want to go with Spintech mufflers and would buy a pre-made system from them but they say that a 3" system won't fit over the rear axle, although I know I've seen people selling them. I want to run all the way out to the tailpipes, so I think the over-the-axle part is the piece that I need to have pre-made since I don't plan on doing any bending myself. I can weld it up though.
Anyone have opinions on a kit I can buy and install myself?

Thanks,

dennis68
08-29-2004, 07:07 AM
If you are going to do the install yourself and don't mind cutting the system up a little bit to make fit good, buy a "Torque Tech" system for an A body and fit it yourself. I suggest the A body system so it will for sure be to long and you will have plenty of pipe to trim for fitment.

JL8Jeff
08-29-2004, 05:42 PM
I'm pretty sure Pypes exhaust, TA Performance and Torque Tech all have mandrel bent 3" systems that fit the 68 Camaro. I got my pipes from Pypes Exhaust (http://www.pypesexhaust.com)

clonez28
08-30-2004, 11:23 AM
I'm running 3" oval tubing from my collectors into Spintechs with a 3" round exit with the tail-pipe section from a TA Performance kit. 3" pipes will fit over the axle but clearance is tight around the springs.

rockdogz
08-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Do you have stock springs? I have the 3" DSE lowered springs, so I'm worried about clearance.

68protouring454
08-31-2004, 06:59 AM
do you like the spin tech sound?? i also am interested in the pypes exhaust sytem, how did it fit?? i am going to be running a t-56 with tylers crossmemeber, let us know
jake

clonez28
08-31-2004, 09:50 AM
I have de-arched mono-leafs, I think the multi-leafs are a bit wider. It would be very easy to make a small dent in the pipes for clearance around the springs if you needed to. I started off with a full 3" TA kit with dynomax mufflers but it drug on the ground half the time. The spintechs are definately louder, there is no way I'd want the exhuast to exit in front of the axle, I'd go deaf driving with the window down. They do sound good though, check their website for a sound sample. You can't beat their stuff for ground clearance, you can't even see the exhaust from the side of the car.

PRO TC
08-31-2004, 07:29 PM
go with torque tech nice fit i have multi leaf 12 bolt rear with guldstrand lowering blocks the fit is no problem. i didnt run them all the way out the back i dumped them right behind the rear wheels with 3/1/4chrome tip i didnt like the way thay looked all the way out the rear
barry

Todds69
09-03-2004, 03:49 AM
Flowmaster has a 3" system out for the First Gen Camaro. Part #17201.

Chevyman73
09-23-2004, 06:44 AM
I've been to Torq Tech's facility in Valdosta, GA (nice to live 45 min away) and seen the stuff while it's being made and I can tell you they are top notch in service and product. I am very happy with my system. If only I could pick a muffler..... :hammer: