PDA

View Full Version : etch or epoxy primer

projectPONY
05-24-2005, 04:37 PM
I've been restoring classics for about 8 years now and I have yet to use an epoxy primer. the way I was taught at autobody school was to use etch primer before anything. like I mentioned, I've been doing this for about 8 years and I have yet to have a problem with any of the etch primers that I've used. would like to know what you all think of either.

I noticed going through this paint and body forum that a lot of you prefer the epoxy and would like to know why.I will finally get some time to work on my own projects and would like to give epoxy a try.

thanks.

parsonsj
05-24-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm no expert, but the folks doing the paint on my ride (Road Killer Kustoms) used etch primer under epoxy primer. I did the same when I painted the underneath and engine compartment: etch primer/epoxy primer/single state topcoat. All the products are PPG.

jp

68protouring454
05-24-2005, 05:45 PM
there is really no need to do both, they do some of the same things.
if a car will be in heated garage, with no moisture i would strip, body work and etch prime, however you cannot do body work over etch primer. etch primer etches the metal, and gives it some corrosion resistance.

now epoxy primer is great for a at home resto because in most cases the car will sit for a long period of time during body work, and the epoxy when sprayed at a cetain mil thickness(2-3) will be a weather resitant primer, epoxy also gives some corrosion resitance, and prepares metal for urethane primer etc.epoxy can also be body worked over, just sand the area with 80-180 then body work.

etch primer is not moisture resistant, and must be sealed with urethane primer or epoxy, however it is not reccomended to epoxy over etch primer as they have similer properties, plus it is not needed, if etching, etch all bare metal areas after bodywork then once flashed off, apply 2-3 coats of urethane high build primer/
standox and others do not want etch primer under epoxy primer, you can look at the tds and in notes see that.
goodluck

jake