PDA

View Full Version : Need a new coil.

Zachalanche
10-18-2010, 08:42 AM
I need a new coil for my 289 and I'm overwhelmed with choices. I have a dual points mallory distributor. anyone have any recomendations on what coil to run and why?
thanks.

DynoDon
10-18-2010, 09:18 AM
PerTronix, Flame Thrower. Good reliable coil, looks similar to stock with high out put. Also I would ditch the points and put the PerTronix Ignitor II in the Mallory dist. - better starting, smoother running and never touch it again.

John Wright
10-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Hey Zach, I agree with Don...they were great in their day....but ditch the points and don't look back.

Zachalanche
10-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the advice. I agree the points are less than ideal. in time I would love to put the pertronix ignitor in, but for now I'm just trying to keep th car on the road for cheap. It's my rat rod and I don't want it to take money away from my current project car.

H2Ogbodies
10-29-2010, 12:48 PM
any worthwhile coil is gonna cost at least as much as a Pertronix kit anyway-I'd do both. For a coil I would suggest the Mallory Pro Tower coil...they are oil filled and stay cool even under extreme use so there is no voltage loss from heat. Any HO coil will shorten the lifespan of your points even with a ballast resistor so upgrading to a Pertronix kit is worthwhile.

DynoDon
10-29-2010, 01:07 PM
any worthwhile coil is gonna cost at least as much as a PerTronix kit anyway-I'd do both. For a coil I would suggest the Mallory Pro Tower coil...they are oil filled and stay cool even under extreme use so there is no voltage loss from heat. Any HO coil will shorten the lifespan of your points even with a ballast resistor so upgrading to a PerTronix kit is worthwhile.

There are basically only two types of coils made these days. Oil Filled, which are 90% of what is out there, and Epoxy filled which are designed for high vibration applications like race cars or off roading.