PDA

View Full Version : Gauging Interest: NE Pro-Touring Pilgrimage

Steve Chryssos
05-24-2005, 05:54 AM
I'm impressed by the number of northeasterners checking in lately. As such I think it's time for us to get together. I can think of no better destination than a pilgrimage to Brock Yate's Cannonball Run Pub in Wyoming, NY. That's near Buffalo. Buffalo-ians(?) correct me if I'm wrong, but the weather up there should be just right in August. I may (may) have some pull here. We might (might) even be able to show-off/spread the pro-touring build style in Car & Driver magazine. Who knows, maybe we can even get Brock Yates to bust out the Cannonball Run Challenger.
Here's the best picture I could find. The car is presently being restored.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

My guess is that we should schedule the meet for late August. That gives members some time to get their rides drivable. :hmm:

If this interests you, please check in ASAP. Based on response, I will make the call in 48 hours. In the meantime, I will start checking out hotels and stuff.

parsonsj
05-24-2005, 05:58 AM
Steve,

If II Much was done, I'd be there. But I think I'll miss the window by a couple of months.

jp

airrj1
05-24-2005, 06:21 AM
Steve,

That sounds really cool to me. :attn: As far as I have seen I am the only Buffalo-ian on the board. Wyoming is a small town in a farming county about 50 miles east of Buffalo and it is about equal distant from Rochester. Wyoming is also near Letchworth State Park (http://www.letchworthadventure.com/) which is a very nice cruise spot. And there is a lot of scenic country roads to see and :wrc: on.

I will be in NY at a Yankees game on the 27th of Aug. but I am pretty well open the rest of the month.

Count me in. And if you need any leg work done up on this end of the state let me know. :woot:

sunkistcamaro
05-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Hi Steve,
I would be interested, I just have to put my car back together and put some miles on it before the trip.

SHANE 73Z
05-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Steve,

If you get this put together I will be there. Should only be about 3-4 hours for me. Pictures of my car must be taken from at least 50' though.........lol.

Shane

airrj1
05-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Pictures of my car must be taken from at least 50' though.........lol.

Ha :fingersx: I'll be luck to have a passengers seat in my car by then. Mine looks best from satellite photos. But at least I can drive it. :headbang:

Last year I went through Pitt. and it was right about 3 1/2 hours to Buff. Not a bad trip.

sunkistcamaro
05-24-2005, 12:29 PM
I dont know how long of a trip it would be for me.. looks like 380 miles??
That would definatly be the longest ride my car has been in a long time!! Well see, the 700r4 should be better than the old TH350. I better get a radio in before this trip!

YoungGun
05-24-2005, 12:37 PM
I replied on Lateral-g that I would be interested. Bill, you are from CT? Maybe we can do something to make the trek together...my car has 300 miles on it, so that would double the mileage...I would really rather find a trailer, but then again I have never driven a truck and trailer. But maybe we can get CT and some Mass guys to caravan up.

I want to do this, but this is one long drive...my guess is 8 hours from here.

Thanks
Tim

Munch69ProTour
05-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Maybe, just Maybe.

Of course the 50 foot rule applies here, been concentrating on the go rather than show.

Glad the location is east of Buffalo, it is over 8 hours from here in Southern NH.

I check in as time passes, maybe the Procharger will be in by then :)

vanzuuk1
05-24-2005, 03:53 PM
I will be there, with out a doubt.We should get a convoy going.In the mean time, june FIFTH, OBI parking lot. note i corrected the date.

Ralph LoGrasso
05-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Steve,

You know I'm in.

69HuggrrrPT
05-24-2005, 04:30 PM
I'd definatly be interested in coming down for this. I'm only about 30 mins from Buffalo on the Canadian side. Keep us posted.

Steve Chryssos
05-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Don't worry about it Tim. We'll probably bring a chase truck. at the very least we can use the truck to shoot some rolling video on the way up.
If the run happens, you've got about 90 days to work out the bugs in your car. Make a list.
Here's mine:
-Get and install new fuel cell from JP.
-Relocate rear shocks for more travel (again)
-Swap alternator
-Swap front coils

Basically the same list of problems I've been ignoring since last summer. :help!:

Steve Chryssos
05-25-2005, 05:04 AM
Steve,
And there is a lot of scenic country roads to see and :wrc: on.
Count me in. And if you need any leg work done up on this end of the state let me know. :woot:

R.J.
Looking forward to meeting you. Farming village good. Maybe you could plot out a route of good scenic roads for touring. Try to string together a loop of safe, low population roads-if such a loop exists up there. Then we can hand out a map to participants. Like the Harley rally events do.
If you can do that soon enough, maybe you can post the map inn this thread.

sunkistcamaro
05-25-2005, 06:07 AM
Tim,
I live in E.Hampton, CT.
If we end up going then we should caravan up.

YoungGun
05-25-2005, 08:15 AM
Bill, sounds good to me. I live in Somers CT, right on the Mass line. If Steve is coming up through CT as well we could get a nice caravan going up there with anyone else heading through CT or Mass Turnpike. I am all for this now. Hopefully more toward the middle of August though, I need to be back at college at the end of the month.

Hmm...my list??

1. Stereo System
2. Move the drivers seat back so I fit better
3. Fix the wiring/light problems.
4. Clean her up and get on the road.

Tim

jimhamptons
05-25-2005, 11:35 AM
I would be interested as well although my car's current configuration may not be the best setup for a long trip.

vanzuuk1
05-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Steve If your first plan falls throught, what about going to a vintage race at the glen or lime rock? Whatever you come up with I am up for a pointless road trip.

Steve Chryssos
05-25-2005, 03:19 PM
Hmm...my list??
1. Stereo System
2. Move the drivers seat back so I fit better
3. Fix the wiring/light problems.
4. Clean her up and get on the road.
Tim

Tim,
That's a pretty easy list. Sounds like you'll be fine.

Jim,
Now we have a deadline.

Zuuk,
Yeah that sounds good. I really like doing Rt 7 on the V-Rod and have always wanted to try it in the car.

andrewb70
05-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Hmmm...I might have to get the GTO out for this little trip...

Andrew

Steve Chryssos
05-25-2005, 05:41 PM
Goodie.
I'd say that's enought so far. I'll make the call tomorrow.

Flight396
05-25-2005, 06:35 PM
Ugh! Wish my car was done!! :crying: I'm in Syracuse and have been absolutly dieing to do something like this!! Have fun!!

vanzuuk1
05-26-2005, 04:33 AM
Steve , the old trans am cars are at the glen the weekend of september tenth.
If we end up meeting Brock Yates he can sign my cannonbal book.

Steve Chryssos
05-26-2005, 05:36 AM
Ugh! Wish my car was done!! :crying: I'm in Syracuse and have been absolutly dieing to do something like this!! Have fun!!

Put yer thumb out. We'll pick you up along the way. You buy 1st round.

Yeah, he can sign my book too. That would be nice. It'd be great if he stopped by. He's a personnal hero of mine.

rob07002
05-26-2005, 06:51 AM
Steve, I can't believe I just saw this post..... Too much complaining about my job I guess. I think thats a great idea.... My car isn't quite pro-touring yet, would I still be able to attend? I could pack all the parts I bought so far and throw them in the back seat and trunk to give it authenticity..... PLEASE keep me in the loop on this one.....

sunkistcamaro
05-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Steve,
What about the Lime Rock idea?

Oh yah, this is what I have to finish on my car to drive it...
1. Install C5 brakes, New brake lines and master.
2. Put motor back in (New 700r4)
3. Get drive shaft made.

Pleanty of time

vanzuuk1
05-26-2005, 09:51 AM
The trans am cars are at lime rock this weekend. I am away and it might be short notice for most people.
If any one goes to lime rock please take photos and post them, thanks.

SHANE 73Z
05-26-2005, 10:09 AM
I gotta get the following done:

1)Install SSBC 38mm Twin Piston D52 replacement front calipers
2)Install touring classics C4 rear discs
3)Install CNC dual master to stock pedal assembly
4)Install braided lines in place of stock rubber lines
5)Install new rear axle, seals & bearings
6)Install aluminum rear end support cover

Guess I should get to work!!!!!!

Flight396
05-28-2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks Steve, thumb will be out! lol.

Team Derry
05-31-2005, 06:58 PM
If we get nothing but sunny weekends between now and then I might be able to finish her up in time to make it. :( I'll hope for the best.

MrAngry
06-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Steve -

Just saw this post - I WILL ABSOLUTELY be there - that would be quite a sight - imagine a bunch of pro-touring musclecars cruising together - I can think of nothing better.

MrAngry

vanzuuk1
06-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Sept fifth is vintage racing at lime rock and the next weekend is watkins glen.The glen event will feature a parade lap, you can do a easy lap of the track.

???????????????????

Mr Angry, Talk to Steve and Ralph about a cruise in the next few weeks.We could meet at city island or somewhere in the middle. You jersey and connecticut guys speak up.

Steve Chryssos
06-21-2005, 06:12 AM
I have not made any progress with the Cannonball Run Pub idea. (Lazy/procrastinating) So Lime Rock sounds like a good, easy alternative. You gotta love that route 7 drive through CT!!!

MrAngry
06-21-2005, 12:56 PM
This sounds great - my car is going in within the next 2-3 weeks to have the BAER brakes, control arms and swaybars put in so I will be ready when the time comes.

sunkistcamaro
06-23-2005, 04:40 AM
Hi guys,
Im up for the trip to LimeRock!

vanzuuk1
06-23-2005, 12:33 PM
lime rock seems to be the choice.Someone should confirm what car will be there so we dont end watching a bunch of vintage allards racing.Whos the east coast vintage race buff on this site?

YoungGun
06-28-2005, 05:40 PM
I have wanted to do this from the start, but the Sept 5th date wasnt looking good for me. I dont know if that was a choice or just mention of something going on then. I will be back at school, and the 5th is my birthday!!

I am still hoping we can do it before the end of August, and I am up for Limerock too.

If there is anything I can do, I can make some phone calls and such if you guys need a hand. I get bored at work sometimes.

Tim

vanzuuk1
06-29-2005, 03:04 AM
Tim Find out when the vintage camaros and mustangs are at lime rock, I was told the scca has a vintage class that runs there once a month.See what you can find out and pm me , thank you.

YoungGun
06-30-2005, 11:51 AM
I have a phone call and email into Limerock about what is going to be around this summer...mainly Camaros/Mustangs. I am hoping they will have them sometime other than Sept 3-5 because I wont be able to go!

Either way I will let you all know when they get back to me.

Tim

vanzuuk1
06-30-2005, 01:27 PM
I am going to lime rock monday to check out the scca races, and touring cars.Anyone heading up there just pm me.Tim, I am probably taking my camaro so let me know if you want to meet on the way.