PDA

View Full Version : Koni adjustables? koni vs. bilstein

cakneller
05-23-2005, 12:07 PM
does anyone know if koni sport adjustable shock are available for the 69 camaro? I've seen the classic konis and am looking for the sports.

Also, anyone compare the konis vs. bilstein? I have hotchkis susp and am wondering about their bilsteins. I've had koni sports before and love the ease of adjustability. I'm looking for a shock for autox./track.

baz67
05-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Yes, you need to measure the shock stoke length. Go to www.shox.com and they should be able to help you out.

chicane67
05-23-2005, 06:36 PM
First, you need to find what your budget will afford. KONI's and Bilsteins are both great dampers, but work very different in operation.

No, there is no sport version available.

The KONI's are 'single adjust' units, until you get into their 'dual adjust' version which is about $300.00/ea, not including the purchase price of the standard shock before the dual adjust modifications. They are re-buildable and have the ability to be valved differently from a stock configuration, when the dual adjust modification is being performed. You will need to specify many things when you get to the point of ordering them from KONI. I will add that you talk to Lee Grimes at KONI to go over your specific needs and valving recommendations. An outstanding damper, none the less.

The Bilsteins use 'divergent' valving which act in both rebound and compression with a light to moderate nitrogen charge, but they are not field adjustable. You change the valving at the time of assembly and go from there. Yes, they can be revalved and yes, they can be rebuilt. But, they dont really have an off the shelf, 'adjustable', version that the general public knows about...... although, if you give Bill Hindorf a call, he can set you strait on what they have to offer in the way of an adjustable. Bill can however, set up the valving correctly at the time of assembly for your chassis needs. In reality, once the valving is done correctly, you really have no REAL need to adjust them...... unless you feel like splitting hairs. But then again, the KONI dual adjusts make more sense at this point.

Dampers need to be valved to the spring, chassis weights, and moment ratios. Once its done correctly, it really doesnt need to be adjusted. You have stated that you are running the Hotchkis package..... well, John took alot of time to get the shocks valved correctly for HIS spring and chassis packages. This will be the best and most effective, to include pricing, that you can make.... for the money involved.

Lastly, if you really want an adjustable, field rebuildable, dual adjust type shock.... Penske is the way to go. You say you want to autoX or track the chassis, so your only real choices are Penske and KONI's dual adjust models. I am not discounting Bilstein, I use and run them in just about all of my builds..... because unless it is a chassis that will see ALOT of autoX or track time, it is more cost effective and they just plain work. Period.

I have used all three product lines mentioned above. They are all different. They all have their respective 'pros and cons'. It really comes down to how much money do you want to spend and how much you wanna spend for the adjustability. Cost versus adjustability are parallel...... one moves with the other.

cakneller
05-24-2005, 03:21 PM
chicane thank you for the info!
Great info that really puts it into perspective.
I don't think it will see ALOT of autox/track time and I now feel that spending the money on dual adj. shocks w/o real chassis mods makes little sense.

thanks,
chris