PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest subframe or suspension components?

John510
10-09-2010, 10:35 PM
I am in need of some new suspension parts so I am thinking about tossing on a new subframe. This is a driver and I do not plan on autocrossing or racing. Just want something better then original.

Whats the cheapest complete subframe? I have a spedtech on my other car and although it wasnt too pricey, it was still a lot of $$$

Or I could use the stock frame and buy some cheap upper and lower arms with new steering box? Whats cheap but wont break on me after a few months?

Thanks

65 drop top
10-09-2010, 11:20 PM
cheapest way would just be a stock rebuild assuming you have all the parts. if you're looking at a arms, spindles, etc. just be sure to buy american made, and hopefully from a sponsor here

ArtosDracon
10-09-2010, 11:24 PM
It's tough to say what's cheap, nothing in this game is cheap. You'd be surprised how good stock components with some good bushing replacements can be. Switch to poly or solid subframe bushings, put delrin bushings in your stock lowers, get a GOOD set of upper arms, and you'll be 80% as good as a full subframe that uses the camaro suspension. Do the gulstrand mod and get tubular uppers and you'll be 90% as good as most subframes, and probably as good as a mustang II subframe. Obviously you're not going to get C5\6 geometry out of your stock subframe, but you can get better than you're probalby going to need on the street.

IMHO, the biggest advantages to a fully aftermarket subframe are weight, clearance and options. Given that it's a driver and not going to be raced, I don't know that it would really benefit you to spend the money on a full subframe.

Just my $.02 spend the money on GOOD components for the suspension and some relatively easy mods and you'll be better off.

zbugger
10-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Cheapest? I'd say that would be to upgrade your factory subframe, assuming it's still in good condition. What are your real plans for the car? Just a cruiser? A fun weekend driver? Your factory subframe DID last, what, 40+ years? Just upgrade what you've got to keep it on the less expensive side. Oh, and don't think that you NEED aftermarket arms. You can save money by upgrading to better bushings, like GW Del-A-Lum's, do the Guldstrand mod, and replace all your steering components that are worn. A steering box is also a good idea.

ProdigyCustoms
10-10-2010, 04:01 AM
I agree, Less $2500 in the orignal subframe will address about everything and make it awesome.

John510
10-10-2010, 11:10 AM
thanks guys. Its just a car that I was selling so I didnt want to go too crazy on it. But it does need about everything replaced in the suspension.

ArtosDracon
10-10-2010, 10:32 PM
If the lower arms are toast, then I would probably replace them with tubulars if it's in the budget, but still, unless the subframe is rotted out pretty badly, the cost of the subframe alone will cover most of the suspension parts.