PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gen AC with LS1

censo69
05-23-2005, 09:22 AM
I am looking for info on what my options are. I have a 69 camaro with no air and was looking into running the vintage air compact gen II. That was all going to tie up to a old gen 1 small block with a front runner. However now im thinking I will run a LS1 does anyone have any advice on the situation. Also should I look for a LS1 with all of the accessories? Thanks In advance

Vince

B Schein
05-23-2005, 01:51 PM
An ls1 compressor will not work with a vintage air setup. VA requires a fixed displacement compressor and ls1 is variable displacement.

Brian

censo69
05-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Does anyone have a 1st gen camaro with an LS1 and A/C. Or is there a fixed displacment compressor that will fit on an LS1?
Thanks

VenturaII
05-23-2005, 03:01 PM
S&P makes a kit to mount the sanden compressor in original 4th gen Z28/Pontiac position except it is sightly forward and closer to the block. Compressor missed frame with S&P mount plates, but still had to notch the frame for the a/c line. Might be able to use some different a/c line connectors and make them miss the frame.

Brandon Lutz
05-23-2005, 03:02 PM
I would like to know also. My 68 didnt have air as an option and I plan on an LS1 Swap for it and would like to know what kind of setup to invest in. I suppose maybe one could fab up something using a late model 4th Gen AC system if they had the time and skill.

B Schein
05-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Some guys do use the ls1 compressor but in order for it to work the system must be way over charged which cause premature compressor failure VA told me last year at SEMA that they were developing a compressor for the ls1 due to its popularity, but I haven’t hear any thing since.

Brian

68LSS1
05-23-2005, 11:19 PM
I was told by Vintage Air via email over a year and a half ago that they were developing a a/c compressor to fit the stock LS1 a/c compressor location. I have talked with Classic Auto Air (http://classicautoair.com/default.asp) and not only do they tell you that you can use the LS1 compressor, they will warranty their kit with the use of one. These guys are very knowledgeable and have a outstanding reputation. They will piece/part a kit together also if you want something other than the stock vents and controls.

VenturaII- does the manifold clear the frame? If it does you should be able to take it somewhere lines are made and they can cut just aft of the manifold and fabricate the lines at what ever angle is necessary to clear the frame.

censo69
05-24-2005, 07:52 AM
Correct me if im wrong but didnt the LS1 debut in 1997 for the corvette and 1998 for the camaro? If so is true then according to the AC-Delco parts lookup the compressors on LS1 powered camaros and corvettes differ but the pictures look identical so im assuming the difference is in the mounting bracket and maybe discharge or suction lime orientation. Can anybody confirm that? Also after scouring the internet and my resources at Denso the compressor looks nothing like any of the Sanden models they have seen before or on Sanden's website. However, the compressors are quite similar to the Delphi V5 compressor. If the is so the V5 is an internaly controled variable compressor designed for an accumulator style HVAC. Isn't the Vintage air unit a accumulator/orifice tube based system? Or is it a TXV system?

patriot68
05-24-2005, 08:06 AM
im going with hotrod air..they have an adapter for the ls1 compressor..complete kit runs about 750.00.
hotrodair.com
scott

VenturaII
05-24-2005, 06:56 PM
Well, I connected a 90 deg. aeroquip fitting directly to the Sanden 508 compressor I got from S&P. This 90 deg fitting has a large arc to it. Summit has a picture of the fitting in their catalog. I think I could have used S&P's rear exit outlet housing and rear exit a/c fittings and made it fit without the notch. Although the fittings would have been very close to hitting the S&P motor plates/mounts.

censo69
05-25-2005, 04:10 AM
Im sorry I must of missed somthing here. Who is S&P? And they shipped you a sanden compressor ? Or are they saying its a sanden compressor on the LS1? Sorry just a little confused.

68LSS1
05-25-2005, 05:27 AM
S&P is Street & Performance. (http://www.hotrodlane.cc/index.html) They have a kit for LS1's that uses a Sanden compressor. It's repositioned high on the right side on the F-body set ups. They have good stuff but are pricey IMO.

VenturaII
05-25-2005, 06:45 PM
They do have one that places it high, but they have a different one that places it lower passenger side. Same place as original 4th gen camaro's, only closer to the block and further forward, using the front serpentine belt instead of the original a/c belt.

scogin918
05-26-2005, 04:23 AM
im going with hotrod air..they have an adapter for the ls1 compressor..complete kit runs about 750.00.
hotrodair.com
scott

Same here. That adapter will save me from having to buy a complete kit. i like their website. It provides good information.

68LSS1
05-26-2005, 09:27 AM
So with the Hot Rod Air kit it has a adapter to use a Sanden (508?) compressor in the originall LS1 F-body location using the stock belt routing? And VenturaII, same thing on the S&P kit. From the above post I take it you can buy just the brackets/adapter as opposed to buying the whole kit?