PDA

View Full Version : Sema 2010_ can you buy products?

LUACE
10-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Its my first time going to SEMA this year... i am wondering can you buy products while you are there? Are vendors giving out any deals?

67 ls1 vert
10-08-2010, 09:27 PM
No, there are they to do business. Show the newest products. Try to get people to carry their line.

Sometimes, you can make arrangements with vendors after the shows to buy some items so they don't have to take them back home with them.

Charley Lillard
10-09-2010, 05:19 AM
I've bought a sliding jack for my 4 post lift there and I see them selling the hell out of them there. These are vendors selling stuff that gets shipped to you. I also ordered a mig welder there. They won't be stocking items to sell at the show but there are many that will take orders. They do give good deals.

DFRESH
10-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Purchased my entire front end from the guys at Speed Tech at SEMA. They shipped it to me of course. I also ordered several other items while there----and all of them were discounted. If you are coming to buy, it's usually a good time to do it.

Doug

ProdigyCustoms
10-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Often times the manufacturers will only sell to dealers who have done a buy in. That is how it is supposed to be> buy ins usually add up to several cars worth of product so they usually will not sell to someone for one car. However, they do sometimes offer us dealers extra savings for POs placed at the show. So if you see something you want, call me and I may be able to do something for you if they will not sell to you direct.

My cell phone is my number in the signature.

PhillipM
10-09-2010, 09:05 AM
We have purchased a bunch of stuff at SEMA. Believe me.. these days, no one will turn down a sale. We have bought from Miller, Lincoln, Doringer, Woodward Fab, TPI Fans, and Bad Dog Tools, all right off the show floor. I will be there with my company "Universal Laser Systems" and I know we would love to sell some equipment at the show. It makes for a better argument to continue exhibiting there when meeting with the owner of the company.

kochevy67
10-09-2010, 10:27 AM
The bottom line is it depends on the company. In this economy I would say more often than not you can make a purchase. I personally have bought stuff every year we go and I hope to do so this year as well.

ProdigyCustoms
10-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Tools have always been available, they are looking for end users as much as dealers. Parts is a little different story.

But like you said, maybe this year they will.

SLO_Z28
10-09-2010, 02:39 PM
I used to buy products all the time when I was at SEMA, and actually worked in retail. I used to do ~$25,000/month in resale so I would sometimes buy on the spot for products I knew I could move. I never met a vendor that didn't want to sell me product, or give out a pricing schedule and set up an account.

DynoDon
10-09-2010, 08:18 PM
If you are looking to buy "A" product for your personal car, then most major companies are not going to sell you anything. We (manufacturers) spend a LOT of money to exhibit at this trade show with the intent of showing our products to our distributors and or dealers. This is NOT a retail show and you have to understand that time is valuable at this show to see the trade people that are supposed to be there. If an exhibitor is taking the time to talk to a guy about a part for his car and maybe even selling him one, he has potentially lost the ability to talk to a major distributor that will buy hundreds of that same part. I know with us, we schedule meetings with our major customers for everyday of the show. We allow extra time and staff to talk to dealers that sell our products.
There are plenty of Consumer shows that the manufacturers attend to sell the products direct to the consumer (or have their dealers do so). Some smaller companies are willing to take an order from you, but don't expect an Edlebrock, Holley, or MSD to do business with you directly if you are not a dealer or distributor. And if you get a bit of the brush off from an exhibitor, realize they are not being jerks but need to concentrate on why they are at this show in the first place.
We realize that ultimately you are the end used and consumer of our products but as the saying goes - "There's a time and place"

ProdigyCustoms
10-10-2010, 04:13 AM
Dyno Don pretty much nailed it. The manufacturers are looking to sell 100s of each parts to one guy not one of each.

Then there is that minimum starting order which includes multiples of a item, a minimum yearly requirement, a business license, photos of your business, trade references. If the manufacturer sells direct, and offers the distributor price, in undermines the dealers. Most manufacturers won;t do that.

To be honest, once you mention your looking for one product for your car the reception will usually cool off or you will find the sales person looking past you at his dealer standing behind you.

Hey, if you can score something, great for you. But if you cannot, call me. I will be looking for deals and making deals.

LUACE
10-11-2010, 05:21 AM
This is good to know... i better my pack my wallet!!!

Mark Antrim
10-11-2010, 08:18 AM
A few years ago I went to SEMA to check out seats for my project. I'm there for work but wanted to sit in a number of seats from different companies. When I was approached form the sales rep. I made sure to tell him that this was for me and just wanted to sample their product. I didn't want to waste their time and cause them to loose a big sale. I did end up buying seats while at the show. They were shipped to me later in the year.

Bryce
10-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Hey, if you can score something, great for you. But if you cannot, call me. I will be looking for deals and making deals.

Frank,

I will hit you up if I see something that I cant live without!
BTW, brakes are on bleeding the brakes tonight and pics too.

Nine Ball
10-11-2010, 08:40 AM
...saving Frank's number for drunk dialing in Vegas. Oh wait, I already have it saved :)

ProdigyCustoms
10-11-2010, 10:59 AM
...saving Frank's number for drunk dialing in Vegas. Oh wait, I already have it saved :)

I am ready for another craps run, how about you! We are in on Sunday for NHRA.