PDA

View Full Version : hesitates on accel.

Metzzen1
08-28-2004, 07:03 PM
I have a warmed over 350. lt1 5.7 rods, healthy cam, performer rpm intake, edelbrock 750 manual choke carb.
whenever i start my engine it runs great, starts great, revs freely and quickly. now after my engine has gotten hot, say run for 10 mins or so, when i give it gas at idle it kindof sputters, seems like it is not getting enough fuel. it does not rev quickly like before. instead of going vroom it goes "vaaaarooom"i have enough fuel pressure, about 7psi at idle, and about 9 at 2krpm. i have a clear fuel filter which is reletively new. The fuel line coming out of my pump runs right along the radiator hose and i thought it was getting to hot and creating vapor lock so i wrapped it in some heat insulative wrap. didnt help. what could it be?

this could be unrelated but im not sure. my engine has about 600 miles on it. it has recently started smoking out of the passenger side pipe. i check the vacuum lines to the trans and they look. the thing on the trany whatever its called, i pulled the line off of it and no fluid came out so it doesnt seem to be leaking. should i run a compression test or what? help me out
thanks in advance

PRO TC
08-28-2004, 08:28 PM
check the squirt your getting from your accelerator pump. with the choke on at startup you may not notice a bad acc pump.should have a strong stream of gas
hope this helps
barry

Metzzen1
08-29-2004, 05:12 AM
what else could be causin this beside the pump. ive pulled off the air cleaner and it looks fine to me. do you think i need to just clean out my carb and rebuild it? it seems like the problem is in the carb to me

cjhutch
08-29-2004, 08:41 AM
I had the same problem on my car a while back. I actually had two problems. My choke cable had a small bend in it, which means when I thought it was fully engaged it actually was only about 80% engaged. I also needed a rebuild on my carb, but that was due to another unrelated problem.

Metzzen1
08-29-2004, 03:32 PM
uhm well just to let you know mod or whoever moved my post, shouldnt this go in the carb section being as it is carbed? in no way shape or form is it injected

MrQuick
08-29-2004, 10:57 PM
I think they where trying to tell you that an injection set up might fix your problem. I'd get it to a tuner, they would be better adapt to find your problem.Certain problems could be very difficult to diagnose and cause you to chase your tail. The symptoms you described could be a simple accelerator pump adjustment, power valve set up, or metering block problem. Give your bowl retaining bolts a spin just to be sure they are tight. I don't think its an ignition problem but you never know...ooops I hope they don't move you to ignition section now :pat:

Brad
08-30-2004, 06:08 PM
Check the slop from the time the throttle blades move, until the squirter "squirts". You want no slop at all. Also check the float level, you might want to adjust down. Like the guy above said, it could be a number of things. Unless you know what you are doing and why, you'd be better off going to a reputable source.

MarkM66
09-03-2004, 08:44 AM
Have you changed where the pump arm attaches to the pump rod? Move it to the top hole for the quickest fuel shot. It can make a world of a difference.

Radlark
09-24-2004, 08:21 PM
Change the step up springs to the silver springs and also insure you have no more than 6 psi of fuel pressure going to the carb. What is taking place is you are experiencing a lean condition