PDA

View Full Version : 65 Chevelle drop

glennsea
10-05-2010, 03:45 AM
I have a 65 Chevelle that I want to setup with a pro-touring suspension. I want to do it in phases due to cost and need to know if this plan will work.

The first thing I want to do it get 2" dropped springs all around and adjustble front shocks. Will this config work with the stock front suspension as is?

Down the road I will add arms, spindles, etc.

lt1chevelle
10-05-2010, 05:12 AM
I would skip in drop spindles and get coilovers, drop spindles mess with the geometry of the front suspension and actually will hurt the performance of the car. Check out Qa1 we'd site or DSE

glennsea
10-05-2010, 06:24 AM
I see that the DSE coilovers provide adjustable height. Would these go as low as 2" in drop?

lt1chevelle
10-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Yes they should look into the Qa1's they are about half the price

a73formula
10-05-2010, 05:17 PM
I would check also with marc at sc&c, thats what I did and am doing everything in steps. Since I want to also drag my 65 he set me up with drop coils and the dual adjustable varishocks. If you add the control arms later the lowers also have another 3"s of play built into them. I have the whole front system and just rear springs with no sway bars and the thing handles unbelievably flat in corners, awesome setup.

glennsea
10-06-2010, 08:34 AM
I ended up going with the SC&C setup as well. Starting with the front end upper arms, coil springs, shocks, etc. and will add on later. Thanks!

wiedemab
10-06-2010, 09:54 AM
The DSE spindles are technically a dropped spindle, but are also taller to allow for more camber gain. They list their spindles as a part of a kit which included their control arms, which I'm guessing add more caster. You can read below.

http://www.detroitspeed.com/1964-1972%20A-Body-Products/030104-spndle-kt.html

I think the ATS spindles also have some "drop" if you want to call it that built into them, but I think it's around 3/4" or so. They can also be purchased in the taller version for the same purpose (better camber curve). I think Speedtech bought ATS and continues to make them.

http://www.speedtechperformance.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=187/category_id=232/home_id=232/mode=prod/prd187.htm

Oh----------Just read that you already went with SC&C - - - I guess I should read more closely. Anyway, I'll leave the above as FYI unless anyone would prefer that I remove it.