PDA

View Full Version : 2010 OUSCI Official Rules

justimagine
10-04-2010, 06:58 PM
2010 OUSCI Official Rules announcement:

Following are the official rules for the 2010 OPTIMA Batteries Ultimate Street Car Invitational. They’re pretty much the same as last year, focused on ensuring safety and the integrity of the event. One important thing – the driver must be either the owner of the vehicle or the builder of record as we are trying to keep this a level playing field and make sure the cars are the hero of the event.

Each participant may bring a maximum of two crew members - no exceptions.

Pay close attention to the tire rules and the passenger rules!!

2010 OPTIMA Batteries Ultimate Street Car Invitational OFFICIAL RULES

1) Qualifying vehicles must be domestic or import four-wheeled street capable vehicles with a strong resemblance to a current or former production model. No purpose built race cars or kit cars will be allowed to compete. The only open-wheeled vehicles allowed are '34-and-older domestic vehicles and replicas thereof. Other vehicles such as production “concept” cars may be allowed. This event is designed to be a fun and spirited competition to showcase vehicles conceived and built using parts and manufacturers represented by the SEMA organization. Vehicles must be set-up to be street-driven daily in all kinds of weather.

2) The vehicle must be shown at the current 2010 SEMA Show during the week previous to the OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational (OUSCI). The entry can be a booth vehicle, feature vehicle or a vehicle displayed in the OUSCI car corral. Vehicles that are not on the SEMA Show grounds during the entire show will not be allowed to compete.

3) Vehicles returning from a previous OUSCI event will only be considered for competition if the vehicle meets one or all of the following:
a) The vehicle has had significant upgrades that must include outwardly visible modifications. The car must look like a different vehicle from 50 feet. If you are unsure, send us “before-and-after” shots. We will tell you if the car looks different enough to be considered.
b) The vehicle has won an OPTIMA regional qualifying event in the current year by the owner or builder of record. That driver who won the qualifier must also be the driver at the OUSCI and meet rule #10.
c) Vehicle won the previous year’s OUSCI (overall winner) and meets the current rules.
d) Race committee may award special dispensation to no more than (5) vehicles per OUSCI.

4) This event has a very specific media focus and the rules are intended to encourage a spirit of safe and fun competition. The organizers understand that everyone will not like our rules or play nicely with others, so we created rule #24.

5) If the rules do not specifically say you CAN do something, you probably CANNOT do it. It is 100% your responsibility to contact us and obtain clarification in writing to anything you think may fall into a ‘gray area.’ Don’t wait until the day of the event and expect special consideration.

6) The OUSCI will contain a combination of the following elements:
a) Street Driving/Open Road/Rally Competition
b) Autocross
c) Acceleration/Braking
d) Road Course
e) Performance/Design Competition

7) All event participants must compete in all segments of the event to qualify for any awards.

8) All event participants must be registered members of OPTIMA’s brand enthusiast online community, Power Pack Nation.
a) Register at – http://www.optimabatteries.com/powerpacknation

9) Each vehicle entered in the competition will represent a single entry, with only one driver allowed. Participants cannot switch drivers or share vehicles with other participants.

10) The registered owner or builder of record must drive the vehicle during all events. Builder of record must be an identified individual that is not a professional driver. Builders of record must be identified and approved by OPTIMA before 10/15/2010. No competitive professional drivers will be allowed to compete for awards or the Ultimate Street Car title. As a rule of thumb, the builder of record must have had responsibility for at least 70% of all modifications to the vehicle. A painter, suspension tuner or motor builder is not considered to be a builder of record if they performed only those specific duties on the vehicle. A person who completed ALL of those duties may be considered the builder of record. If the owner of the vehicle is the person who contracted the build through many vendors then the owner is the builder of record. Typically the only person who qualifies as the builder of record is the owner or manager of a shop who modified the vehicle into its current condition from the condition in which it was purchased.

11) All drivers and passengers must sign a liability waiver. Passengers will only be allowed during the road rally and autocross portions of the event and must be at least 18 years of age, identified and pre-registered before the competition begins. Only one passenger may be in the vehicle during the autocross event and the passenger safety harnesses or belts must pass technical inspection.

12) Passengers will not be allowed in any open top vehicles.

13) A mandatory driver/passenger meeting will be held prior to the first competition. Roll call will be taken to verify attendance.

14) Only official wrist-banded drivers and passengers may ride in the cars on the track.

15) Participating cars must pass a safety and technical inspection that will emphasize safety. Safety features that do not offer a competitive advantage such as racing specific harnesses roll cages/bars, fire systems, etc, are acceptable.

16) All convertibles or any open top vehicle must have rollover protection – no exceptions.

17) Helmet use is required during any non-highway segment of the event. Helmets must have a SNELL rating SN2000 or newer.

18) On board fire extinguisher is mandatory – A 2.5 lb. minimum, automotive BC fire extinguisher, with a secure quick-release mounting bracket made of metal is required. The extinguisher must be within easy reach of the driver.

19) All competitors must have current registration proof of insurance, and a current driver’s license. All of the following are required: current registration, working headlights, taillights, brake lights, turn signals, and a safety-glass windshield.

20) A 12V accessory adapter is required for certain timing equipment. It is the participant’s responsibility to insure this is in place and working. Failure to record times in any event will disqualify participants for any awards. These are inexpensive and available at any auto parts store so please have them ready on race day.

21) Each vehicle is required to display the OUSCI decal package per specifications.

22) Participants must use DOT approved, non-competition, treaded (non-grooved) street tires (no competition radials, no R compound, drag radials or shaved tread) with a tread wear rating of 200 or higher. Tires will be required to pass a technical inspection at the track. The spirit of the event requires the use of a DOT approved “non-competition” tire – any modifications to tires will be unacceptable. Any vehicle with tires showing any evidence of modification will be immediately disqualified from the event. Segments of the OUSCI will incorporate competitive elements that will make race tires unsafe and uncompetitive. Safety is of the utmost importance and the race director or event coordinators will not hesitate to disqualify questionable tire selections.

23) Competitors must use a single set of tires for the entire event, no tire changing between events will be allowed. Tires will be marked during tech. Tire changes will be allowed in the event of a catastrophic failure, but replacements must be of the same size, manufacturer and model as those approved during tech inspection.

24) Race director and event management staff will have COMPLETE discretion to deny or remove from competition anyone in the event for any reason.

25) Rules or spirit of the event interpretation will be at the sole discretion of the OSC steering committee or event organizers.

26) Optional but highly suggested: Should you be one of the lucky invitees of the OUSCI, we strongly suggest that you support our event sponsors and take every opportunity to show off your passion for the products you use. OUSCI sponsors pay for your entry. Pay them back by promoting their products. You and/or your car may be shot by various magazines or filmed for a TV show. Wear sponsors hats and shirts. Put the decals on your car. Overall, the entire industry needs your support so please do your part.

We’re happy to answer any questions that you may have – just contact either of the following:

Cam Douglass
OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Invitational Race Founder & Promoter
[email protected]

Jimi Day
OPTIMA Invitational Race Director
[email protected]

PCHRODS
10-23-2010, 03:41 PM
I know i didn't see this in the rules, but someone told me (this is someone who is going to OUSCI so i trusted it) but anyways, I was told a driving suit was required for the event. Is this true? Just want to make sure!

Bill Howell
10-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Not that I am aware of Rob, no drivers suit required.

Vegas69
10-23-2010, 05:10 PM
If it's not in the rules....

PCHRODS
10-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks, I just wanted to be sure!! One less thing to worry about!! :smoke:

CarlC
10-23-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm bringing my driving suit!

James OLC
10-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Don't you always?
Lol

CarlC
10-24-2010, 07:32 AM
LOL! Yeah, but now it's upgraded:////

It's been a bit busy getting everything ready for the OUSCI. Here's a little "insider" info to keep everyone in the loop.

THE CAR

The car is the easy part, but ended up being more than expected. The day after Jeff accepted the invite I tore the old supercharger off and started replacing it with a Magnuson TVS1900. Since the engine is basically a stock LS1 with a Lingnefelter cam, it's right in the sweet spot of the 1900 curve.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Of course, the tuner at Manguson tells me last Monday that I really need to get the 100mm Lingenfelter MAF to cure a few nagging driveablilty problems. Unfortunately that meant building a completely new intake system. It's not quite as sano as I'd like it to be but it is functional and solid. I plead my case with Magnuson and they really went out of their way to make time for the car this Monday to get it tuned. It runs pretty good the way it is but there's some idle and cooling fan-on problems to fix along with getting the overall tune sorted out.

Recently the Camaro, flying the Hotchkis Sport Suspenson flag, participated in the Super Chevy Suspension Challenge. During the entire process Team Hotchkis and I were on the same page about the goals and how to get there. John Hotchkis, their Chief Engineer Arron Ogawa, and I made a great team and had a lot of fun working together. When John found out the Camaro was attending OUSCI, he offered his and Aarons assistance. I jumped on the offer. I cannot not think of anyone better qualified to help get the car handling the way it should that day.

The Camaro gets new rubber on Monday as well, and after that it's just a matter of doing some detailing and she'll be ready to go.

THE EQUIPMENT

Since the car got some upgrades I felt it was necessary to spruce up some of my stylish attire to better reflect the spirit of the OUSCI. My trademark garb has been called, lovingly, a janitors suit. Though I pick off ABS glue from the sleeves and it resembles something that a sanitation engineer would don, it pains me to think of getting rid of it. So, in the true spirit of do-it-yourself, I bring to you the latest in Hollywood fashion.

Note the two new custom pocket patches and the sunglasses in the garage. I know the sunglasses make me faster.

No real race suit would be complete unless the drivers callsign was custom embroidered on the back. This patch is a quick removal type just in case a new callsign is assigned to me, which is highly likely. How about that classy new blue sticker on the helmet, eh?

THE MENTAL

I know that I must properly prepare mentally for this challenge. So, how about driving behind someone who is an expert? Here I am, dicing it out with Fast Mary Pozzi. Nevermind that it's the TV. Or that it's last years OUSCI. Or that she's on for only eight seconds. If I play it 500 times it will be just like the real thing. Right? Of course the helmet and driving suit are mandatory during any practice sessions.

I also have a trick up my sleeve but I need both SEMA and OUSCI attendees help. I'm very fortunate that David Pozzi has offered to share his hotel room with me on Friday and Saturday nights. I figure that if someone can find one of those fortune teller/wishing machines like that in the movie "Big" then David's brain can be swapped into my body. My snoring might drive him mad anyway, so why not take advantage of it? While were sleeping the magic fortune should take effect.

I need to get all of my stuff packed in the car. While watching the OUSCI 2009, which is still on the DVR from last year, Bill Howell has to go and state "Trailers are for boats." Dang it Bill! So, it looks like I'm driving the Camaro and figuring a way to get around Vegas. Road trip!

Larry Callahan
10-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vegas69
10-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Definitely some pipe dreams in this thread! hahaha You better hope you have a shot of nitro and a pony in the trunk to keep up with this Big DOG.

Bill Howell
10-24-2010, 08:48 PM
LOL Carl. Trailers ARE for Boats! The charger will hit I-40 Friday and make the 2000 mile trek, surely you can cruise 300 or so right? What is Protouring without the touring part?
I am so looking forward to this year's OUSCI. Since last year, the charger has better brakes, better suspension setup, much more sorted out and I have way more track time under my belt so I expect more out of myself this year than my 15 or 18 place last year. I have dual rudders on it this year so should do better in the autocross too...haha