PDA

View Full Version : X-body vs A-body

Nothingface5384
10-02-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm curious to which platform you guys think will handle better modded

73-74 buick apollo(nova) or 1966-67 buick special(chevelle)
xbody would weight about 3500 while the special would weigh in around 3200

apollo is a tad shorter..but is subframe and not full frame like the special
special has coil springs instead of leaf springs like apollo..

rear suspension go something like
DSE Rear swivel control arms(apollo leaf sprung)
factory mounting style swaybar
Fay 2 watts link
edelbrock ias gas shocks
spc 1in lowering springs

front suspension would be
swivel link front swaybar
spohn upper tubular control arms
spc lower tubular control arms
1in drop spc springs
edelbrock ias gas shocks

Chassis stiffening for apollo(special has full frame)
fender to rad support bars
hotchkis max handle firewall bars
alston/chassis works g-frame connectors with g-support X chassis bar

oh and afx 1.4 drop spindles with steering arms

I would imagine the 67 buick special due to a full frame, being lighter and having coils vs leafs?
opinions??

lilbuzzy
10-02-2010, 05:28 PM
you actually found an apollo?

realcoray
10-02-2010, 08:14 PM
I'm curious to which platform you guys think will handle better modded

73-74 buick apollo(nova) or 1966-67 buick special(chevelle)
xbody would weight about 3500 while the special would weigh in around 3200

apollo is a tad shorter..but is subframe and not full frame like the special
special has coil springs instead of leaf springs like apollo..

rear suspension go something like
DSE Rear swivel control arms(apollo leaf sprung)
factory mounting style swaybar
Fay 2 watts link
edelbrock ias gas shocks
spc 1in lowering springs

front suspension would be
swivel link front swaybar
spohn upper tubular control arms
spc lower tubular control arms
1in drop spc springs
edelbrock ias gas shocks

Chassis stiffening for apollo(special has full frame)
fender to rad support bars
hotchkis max handle firewall bars
alston/chassis works g-frame connectors with g-support X chassis bar

oh and afx 1.4 drop spindles with steering arms

I would imagine the 67 buick special due to a full frame, being lighter and having coils vs leafs?
opinions??

Your weights seem off, the apollo will weight less initially than the buick by a decent amount (I can't find exact amounts but I'd guess at least 100 pounds).

I have a nova myself but I'd probably say the buick would be better. You don't have to buy subframe connectors, and you can put on bigger wheels and tires without messing with anything. The rear suspension is better out of the box also.

MrQuick
10-02-2010, 09:29 PM
IMHO, If you were going to go with a DSE link rear the Apollo would be my choice. Even with the addition of subframe connectors it would be easier to lighten the Apollo.

What can you do with the A body? Lighten the frame? Nope. Full frames flex too.

Drag racing would benefit with a full frame.

But in the end, its link versus leafs and thats a fight that has been going on for years.

Nothingface5384
10-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Your weights seem off, the apollo will weight less initially than the buick by a decent amount (I can't find exact amounts but I'd guess at least 100 pounds).

I have a nova myself but I'd probably say the buick would be better. You don't have to buy subframe connectors, and you can put on bigger wheels and tires without messing with anything. The rear suspension is better out of the box also.

according to my book "standard catolog of american cars 1946-75" thats whatm they state for the shipping weight..

The thing i dont get the buick versions of the chevys are always listed heavier even though the buicks have lighter engines...so either they use thicker gauge metal or a hell of a lot more sound deadner/insolation

Nothingface5384
10-03-2010, 09:45 AM
IMHO, If you were going to go with a DSE link rear the Apollo would be my choice. Even with the addition of subframe connectors it would be easier to lighten the Apollo.

What can you do with the A body? Lighten the frame? Nope. Full frames flex too.

Drag racing would benefit with a full frame.

But in the end, its link versus leafs and thats a fight that has been going on for years.

I'll find one...not too hard when you belong to buick boards

exwestracer
10-03-2010, 11:23 AM
The overall weight probably isn't as important to handling as the F/R weight distribution. Having dealt with both types of car, I'm pretty sure it's going to be easier to get the weight to the rear in the X body (Apollo). They already have a more rearward engine placement, with room to go further depending on what engine you are using.

Personally, I'd put subframe connectors in the floor and use a 2 link with torque arm and panhard (or Watts) for the rear. Very little chassis modification is required, and setting up the geometry is much simpler than with a 4 link.

Nothingface5384
10-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks, that's something I wanted to hear..

It'll have a buick 350 as thats what they come with stock...but i'll most likely rebuild it using 6.400 honda rods and stroke it to 370ci along with chevy 1.7 roller rockers, and a nice cam

if the axle ever breaks i'll find a 71-72 skylark/cuttlas rear and(bolt-in axles) swap on the leaf perches

exwestracer
10-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I've heard that the original Cad Seville used a beefed up version of that subframe with some better brakes and geometry, but I've never looked at them side by side so I can't say for sure. If you really want a low buck torque monster, I believe a Cad 472/500 will bolt up to the Buick trans....

Nothingface5384
10-03-2010, 01:43 PM
yes it will...but i'd being gaining alot of weight with that engine..
buick 350 weighs on at 450lbs with iron heads/intake
chevy 350 is 575 and cad is probably somewhere around 650lbs lol

I'll keep the whole subframe thing in the back of my mind once i actually get one/

I'll just stick to stealth mods for a season or two to get some experiance/skills before i do all the mods that'll bump me to street prepared..
Its all in fun,
I also think one of my local tracks has a vintage class :-D

DarkoNova
10-03-2010, 06:42 PM
When I weighed my 69 Nova it weighed 3232 lbs and had a damn near 50/50 balance. And I haven't really even done much to it. I don't know if there's much of a difference between a 69 and 73-74, though.

Nothingface5384
10-03-2010, 07:13 PM
3274 is whats listed down for a 73 nova v8 2door hatch
3162 for coupe

74 novas were in the 3330-3370 range

3282 apollo notch and 3383 apollo hatch for 73

74 apollo is a heavy pig apparently, so I'll have to try and find a 73
3429 and 3534! ,,,weighs about 45lbs more then my midsized skylark!

streetnova74
10-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Most of the weight is in the bumpers, I know in my nova it is. They went to the 25mph crash bumpers and weigh a ton.