PDA

View Full Version : Water...popping...dead!

SicMonte
05-21-2005, 08:18 PM
well..just got back from the Ocean City, Maryland, summer cruise. Thursday night into all day friday it rained...alot. I drove my car about a mile in some serious rain....and alot of standing water. I then parked the car in a covered outside parking lot.

I got into the car on friday night and it was popping under acceleration (and a lil bit at idle) really bad...i mean serious popping/backfire. It did the same thing today (saturday). So I thought it was somer moisture in the cap. I got a new cap, rotor, and a new set of Accel 8.8 wires. Still the same thing.

On the way home it all of a sudden stopped...for about 2 hours..ran fine!!...then it started again..bad!!

Im not sure what it is. I have a proform HEI...with no MSD box or anything. I think it might be the ignition module in the distributer, b/c there was a lil bit of rust on it when I had the cap off. Could that cause this popping/backfire???

LowBuckX
05-21-2005, 11:30 PM
HEI modules are not that great. They will die with no notice act up at certain RPMs and have intermitant issues also. These are all signs of a bad module.
Yes get a new module or 2 so you can have a spare.
or get an MSD 6 or 6al and be done with the module for good.

SicMonte
05-22-2005, 07:34 PM
got a new module...and the backfiring/pooping is even worse.....

it is doing it mostlly out of the passenger side..and it is shooting fire out the exhaust when it backfires/popps

LowBuckX
05-22-2005, 11:41 PM
Recheck timing plugs and coil. If that dont help Time to move this thread to the engine section. Broken valve spring or wiped cam lobe maybe.

Pop off that valve cover and look at the valve motion on all cylinders and try and rotate the valve springs they should not twist by hand. If one twists feel for broken coils.

CAMAROBOY69
05-23-2005, 05:15 AM
Did you ever check to make sure the plugs are all fine? Mabey somehow you got water into the carb or even into the gas tank and your sucking water on occasion. Just an idea.