PDA

View Full Version : prescription safety glasses

DartorDemon
09-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Does anyone know where i can get a pair? I've never had much luck with those crappy over the glasses versions.

Do some insurance companies cover perscription safety glasses??

Mingus
09-29-2010, 04:42 AM
I got mine from Shopko Optical. I look like an extra from the movie Dodgeball :) but they are ANSI rated and I even got them with transition lenses.
I found a site with the brand I have.

http://www.industrialvisioncorp.com/eye-safety-products/titmusmpd.html

As for the insurance, they should cover them but mine didn't. I went around and around with them to no avail. They are supposed to pay $100 towards glasses (every two years) but refused because they are "safety" glasses. I argued that since they are corrective lenses they should pay whether I want ANSI glasses or pink polka-dotted ones. They refused, so the safety glasses I'm required by work to wear aren't covered by the mandatory (but paid by me) company supplied insurance.

prostreet69camaro
09-30-2010, 11:51 AM
I got mine from Walmart. My company pays for them.

John Wright
10-01-2010, 03:14 AM
I got mine from Walmart. My company pays for them.
I'm the safety manager here at work and that is where I worked a deal for our plant to get prescription safety glasses. The basic (no upgrades) version costs us about $45, and the pair with lots of upgrades and add-ons costs us about $85. They even run specials where you can buy your street glasses and get the second pair 50% off (and sometimes free). You could use the special to get a reasonably priced set of safety glasses and save some money.

Ollie8974
10-01-2010, 04:25 AM
Mingus;

File a complaint with the state insurance commissioner.
Watch how fast the insurance co gets off their duff.

MK70
10-06-2010, 06:18 AM
Lenscrafters and most eyeglass places carry them. They should be able to check with your ins company to see if they're covered.

Check out the cool styles...:)

http://www.lenscrafters.com/eyeglasses/4/prescription-safety-glasses-safety-eyewear-styles

fordsbyjay
10-30-2010, 06:42 PM
I get mine from my eye doctor. I am blind and use super high index lenses. They cost usually $400-500 dollars. My insurance covers them to a certain amount then my company pays the rest.

Jim Nilsen
11-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Get glass lens's instead of plastic unless you have no choice. I went with plastic the last time and have been disappointed in the ability to get scrathed.