PDA

View Full Version : Car Stereo Advice

KMD
09-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Looking for some advice for my 65 Chevelle audio system.

I sent my original AM radio off to have it converted to AM/FM stereo with RCA jacks to hook my IPod to it. I probable have limited myself with this radio but I am really trying to stay with a Resto-Mod type theme. The radio has 4 channel 180 watts 45 per channel. I purchased kick panels with speaker provisions. The depth is an issue so I had some trouble with finding a speaker that would fit. I ended up purchasing Focal 5 1/4 for the front and Focal 6X9's for the rear package tray.

I hooked them up to the radio and they become distorted right away with any amount of volume. I believe I will need an amp, the 5 1/4's are 50 watts and the 6x9's are 75 watts. I will have to hook the amp through the speaker wires from the radio, for there is no RCA's. A local stereo shop suggest a 4 x 100 JL amp. I am concerned this is to much for the speaker wattage. They said they turn down the gain and tune the amp for the speakers.

Any thoughts and suggestions? I am limited with the front speakers but not against adding a small subwoofer if this will improve the overall system.

hifi875
09-29-2010, 05:10 AM
Listen to their advice, they r right. power is not the issue it is distortion and not enough power. the jl amp has built in xovers so they can set them to limit the signal that the front speakers will get. 5.25 inch spkrs arent designed to handle a full range signal. they will probably run the 6x9s wide open unitl you get a sub. you need a sub and a sub amp if you want any kind of sound quality and volume capability.

KMD
09-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Listen to their advice, they r right. power is not the issue it is distortion and not enough power. the jl amp has built in xovers so they can set them to limit the signal that the front speakers will get. 5.25 inch spkrs arent designed to handle a full range signal. they will probably run the 6x9s wide open unitl you get a sub. you need a sub and a sub amp if you want any kind of sound quality and volume capability.

Thank you for the advice. Like everything, it is expensive and I what to make sure I am doing it right the first time. I also had it in the back of my mind that I would not get the result I was looking for without a sub. My biggest concern with a sub or subs is they alway seem to look out of place in muscle cars. Any thoughts on what I should purchase and the best mounting location?

makoshark
09-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Several companies are starting to make 6.5" subs now. I have a set made by CDT called M6+`s that are amazing. I would just build a front stage system with no rear speakers other than the sub/s. If your not really crazy about giving up trunk space or filling it with subs, then I would recommend picking up a pair of those CDT`s I mentioned. You can mount them in the rear deck, although, that`s not the ideal place to mount speakers, but to just add lower frequencies into the mix, then it won`t hurt too much.

hifi875
09-30-2010, 01:18 PM
r u stayn with the completely stock look in the trunk? If you are it will be tough to hide. you could build a small box and splatter paint it and tuck it up under the back deck. If doing anything custom in the trunk you could build some panels and hide everything. i don't think you would be happy with a 6inch sub though. in my 23 yrs of being a custom a/v dealer, i have yet to see one that worked outside of a bazooka tube sub and those are made for trucks.(primarily) You would lose alot of output putting one of those in the trunk.

makoshark
09-30-2010, 05:31 PM
I wasn`t speaking about the speakers being installed in the trunk. I, like you, have always had the experience that 6.5" speakers just couldn`t produce enough bass, even the bazooka tubes, to be satisfying. That was my assumption till I installed CDT 6.5" subs in place of the rear seat speakers of my 01 trans am. They totally blew me a away and I was running them free air. I never would have dreamed they could produce what they did. Granted they weren`t a 12" sub, but they were a lot more than anyone could ever imagine. Speaker technology has gone a long way and if you haven`t ever heard them before, then I suggest finding some and checking them out. You`ll be totally blown away. Keep in mind, I`m not selling anyone anything. I`m just giving my opinion based on 25 years of experiencing high end home and car audio.

hifi875
09-30-2010, 06:54 PM
I am very aware of whats going on in car audio. As good as you say they sound and i am sure they do, they will not replicate the output of a 10inch subwoofer. It all depends on your expectations. if you have ever experienced or owned a subwoofer system consisting of a 12 , 10 or heck even a 8 inch subwoofer in its proper sized enclosure, sealed or ported, a 6.5 inch subwoofer isn't going to cut it. It may have some low volume midbass, or upper bass output, but it doesnt have the ability to move enough air and play deep enough to make most poeple happy. If you have 0 expectations, then they might somewhat satisfy you.

KMD
09-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Thanks again for all the advice. My original plans where to keep the trunk stock with the splatter paint. However maybe your idea around making a panel to cover the speakers and spraying the splatter paint on it might look good. Will have to put some more thought into it. Of course the smaller the sub the easier it would be to hide. I always see the subs mounted behind the rear seat. What is the best place? Sure seems like the sound would be muffled by the rear seat.

Hear is a picture of the progress I have made. The rear package tray had been hacked up over the years so it made more since to cut it out and start over.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

hifi875
09-30-2010, 07:22 PM
if ou build a enclosure, fire the sub back towards the rear of the car. if you do a free air of course it would fire thru the seat, not many companies do free airs though, jl made some decent ones but stopped years ago, as did kicker. i had some freeair 12s in my 69 for alittle while(just didn't get it for me though). nice work on the rear deck

hifi875
09-30-2010, 07:24 PM
just put some power on those 6x9s and see what happens? they will atleast sound as good as a 6.5 inch woofer. You can always go subwoofer later and you won't have wasted any money getting there.

makoshark
09-30-2010, 07:27 PM
I am very aware of whats going on in car audio. As good as you say they sound and i am sure they do, they will not replicate the output of a 10inch subwoofer. It all depends on your expectations. if you have ever experienced or owned a subwoofer system consisting of a 12 , 10 or heck even a 8 inch subwoofer in its proper sized enclosure, sealed or ported, a 6.5 inch subwoofer isn't going to cut it. It may have some low volume midbass, or upper bass output, but it doesnt have the ability to move enough air and play deep enough to make most poeple happy. If you have 0 expectations, then they might somewhat satisfy you.

If you read my post, you`ll see I said they would never replicate the type of sound a 10", 12" sub can produce. However, they produce more bass than anything I have ever heard from that size speaker. 0 expectations? lol...guess you really didn`t read much of my posts. Your the expert though

makoshark
09-30-2010, 07:29 PM
just put some power on those 6x9s and see what happens? they will atleast sound as good as a 6.5 inch woofer. You can always go subwoofer later and you won't have wasted any money getting there.

WOW! 20+ years in the field and your saying a coaxial speaker will produce the same quality sound as a 6.5 subwoofer?

Have you ever seen CDT 6.5" subs? Google them, CDT HD M6+, ES M6+

hifi875
10-01-2010, 04:48 AM
i never said i was the expert. but i just deal w/realistic expectations every day. the 6x9 will put out as much bass as the 6.5, but since the woofer is crossoverd different, it will play bass and midbass and midrange, thus will not have a thumpy sound. now if you crossed it over at the same frequency as the 6.5 the output would probably be close to the same. Like i said earlier those speakers might be ok but it all depends on what kind of bass output that is desired. Most poeple want a little more than that.