PDA

View Full Version : Caster off from left to right

fbody_mike
09-28-2010, 07:25 PM
I have been dialing in my wheel alignment at home and have acheived the following specs.

Toe- in 1/8"
Camber -0.2* both sides
Caster, right 3.4*, left 4.0*

I was trying to get the most caster without upseting the camber and this is what I got. Is the delta between right and left going cause alot of problems? Cars seems fine, but felt I should ask.

Car is a 1972 Firebird with 245/50-16s and Hotchkis springs front and back. Factory a-arms.

MonzaRacer
09-28-2010, 07:53 PM
OK are you using shims? if so you need to switch the caster split from left t oright.
If your trying to get more caster add or remove shims to move the rear of the upper control arm towards the engine, removing the same amount from the front shim pack will keep the approx same camber.
I always set caster then moved the arms in or out to get camber right.

See after you get the caster set all you have to do is remove or install shims equally on both front and back packs.
so many people do it the other way around.
If you use same caster setting on both side it will drift down crown of road, try to get a 0.5 deg more positive on the right than the left. 3.4 or 3.5 on left and 4.0 on right would be good.
Again get the caster right, then shifting camber is simple as adding or removing shims equally on both packs.

fbody_mike
09-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks Lee.

Yes, I am using shims, and I was setting the camber first and dialing in the caster after. I will give it a shot the other way.

Where I live there are some very crowned roads so I think I will try to move the +0.5* to the right instead of the left.