PDA

View Full Version : Chevelle - What's the best way to drop 2"

Glock 18
09-28-2010, 11:09 AM
What is the best way to drop my '69 Chevelle 2" up front ... 2" drop spindles or 2" drop front coil springs? What are the advantages / disadvantages of either way? I've heard the drop coil springs may somehow affect steering geometry, though I don't understand how. I'm waiting on some solid information before I do anything. Thanks.

MCB Matt
09-28-2010, 11:43 AM
You can go either way. If you already have disc and want a simple swap with a GUARANTEED exact 2" drop spindles will work.

Otherwise stiffer coils are a MUCH better choice, we sell Hotchkis as well as bolt in coilover kits.

PM me if you need more info!

Matt

L & H Kustoms
09-28-2010, 02:03 PM
DO NOT USE DROP SPINDLES! Put in drop springs. You need to lower the car using drop springs to make the lower ball joint level with the a arms bolts to improve the handling and improve your geometry & RC. Drop spindles do absolutely nothing for handling.

claytonisbob
09-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Tall upper and lower ball joints (the lower ball join will lower your car a smidge), and lowering springs.

MrQuick
09-28-2010, 09:32 PM
ATS tall spindles and chop adjust your spring.

camino70
09-29-2010, 07:18 AM
G18,
I am not sure what normal is, but I just got Hotchkis 1" lowering springs for the front, but they come long and need to be cut. You may just want to cut what you have.

PS. Where did you get the 18?

bochnak
09-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Springs. Cheaper too.

exwestracer
09-30-2010, 04:18 PM
L&H makes a good point. Check the relationship between the lower balljoint and LCA pivot bolts at ride height. If the pivot is higher, lower with springs until the 2 are level. If they're already level, go with spindles.

bochnak
10-01-2010, 03:41 AM
See my sig. Car is lowered to where LCA is level (LCA pivot and BJ pivot are pretty much inline horizontally). I don't think you would want more drop than this as crossmember is 3.5-4" and header collector is 3-3.5" from ground.

ProdigyCustoms
10-01-2010, 04:01 AM
A ATS or Ride tech spindle are both tall spindles and both have a little drop in them. Combine with conventional lowered coil springs like Hotchkis or Global West you fix camber gain and get your drop. Another real easy way not mentioned is to use a drop pocket control arm like Speedtech and a stock height spring.

We sell all the brands and options listed above among others.

Glock 18
10-02-2010, 04:38 AM
G18,
I am not sure what normal is, but I just got Hotchkis 1" lowering springs for the front, but they come long and need to be cut. You may just want to cut what you have.

PS. Where did you get the 18?

It's our issued pistol since we put up our Wilson Combat CQB .45s. The G18 is fun, but runs through a hell of a lot of ammo on full auto. Short, controlled bursts is the key!

L & H Kustoms
10-03-2010, 02:35 PM
A ATS or Ride tech spindle are both tall spindles and both have a little drop in them.

Frank, Ridetech's 2" drop is quite a bit more than "a little drop"

To the OP.
The tall spindles that are available.
ATS Spindle - 1.4" taller, 7/8" drop
Ridetech Spindle - 1.5" taller 2" drop
Chassisworks spindle - 2" taller 2" drop
Heidts spindle - 1.5" taller, 2" drop
L & H (http://www.lhkustoms.com/products) Kustoms spindles -1.45" taller, 0" drop