PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to install vent glass

perry mitchell
05-20-2005, 08:17 PM
I just received my '67 Camaro glass kit and was wondering how I should install the glass into the frame for the vent windows. I know how it was originaly done, that is with glass setting tape around the edges to be inserted into the frame. The tape was lubricated with oil which allowed it to slip in easily and also made the tape swell for a tight fit. But what is the new high tech way of doing this because the old way is a pain in the a**? While I am at it, what is the easiest way to install the quarter window trim/seal?

Happyfunballs
05-21-2005, 05:50 AM
Does the glass already have the chrome trim installed on it that allows it to swivel in the frame?

perry mitchell
05-21-2005, 06:51 AM
No. I need to install the glass into the trim.

Jim Nilsen
05-21-2005, 09:09 PM
I found that a few drops of soap(Dawn) in some water worked the best for me. I got the new butyl strip from my local glass shop for free because they didn't know what to charge for 4 ft. of it.

Make sure that you don't push it too far into the channel. With the glass edge on the surface you use to support it ,push the ends down flush to the surface and you will be at the right spot. Otherwise you can push it too far past the seal on the weatherstrip with some of the newer glass.With older original glass you shouldn't have this problem at all.

Jim Nilsen