PDA

View Full Version : Spring for '70 El Camino

camino70
09-26-2010, 09:07 AM
I thought I had Moog stock replacement springs on my car, but I can't find any markings to prove it. I bought Hotchkis 1" drop springs.
They dropped the rear 2", how much clearance between the well and tire should I have?

I only accomplished the passenger front and its is raised an 1"! Should I get the drivers done before I judge the height or should I start cutting the passenger to determine the height I want?

Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

camino70
09-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Just took some pics and measurements. Before the spring change, the car was right around 26" from the floor to the middle of the well at each wheel. Now I am 24" in the rear with 1/2" clearance between my well and tire, is this too close? Do I need to go up?

Now the front is 28". Hotchkis says 1" out of the spring = 2" in ride height, but emphasizes to stay on the conservative side. Any suggestions on how much to cut?

1badchevelle
09-26-2010, 12:40 PM
if you just put them in do not cut them. They will settle in a lower a bit more.

Nice elco btw.

L & H Kustoms
09-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Rear looks good you should be ok there. As a general rule of thumb when cutting coils 1/2 a coil usually = 1" drop. I would start at a 1/2 a coil and check. You need to do both sides then check. If you want it lower then cut another 1/2 a coil. Nice looking elky

camino70
09-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks guys!

L&H,
Please excuse my ignorance, but why should I have both sides done then check? I currently don't have the drivers front done. I work extremely slow and don't know if I can handle doing the fronts a total of four times.... What am I harming by not?

Also, when I stated "1/2" clearance between my well and tire", I meant tire sidewall, am I still ok?

Thanks again!

mild2wildpaint
09-26-2010, 02:58 PM
If you don't cut both front springs together, the front end will sit higher due to the one un-cut spring.

L & H Kustoms
09-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Thanks guys!

L&H,
Please excuse my ignorance, but why should I have both sides done then check? I currently don't have the drivers front done. I work extremely slow and don't know if I can handle doing the fronts a total of four times.... What am I harming by not?

Also, when I stated "1/2" clearance between my well and tire", I meant tire sidewall, am I still ok?

Thanks again!

Mildtowild answered the reason to do both sides. Thanks!
You should be fine w/ 1/2" clearance on the side wall. If it does rub you might need to trim the lip or roll it but you should be fine.

camino70
09-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Again, Thank you very much!

L & H Kustoms
09-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Again, Thank you very much!

Glad to help post up some pics when you get it where you want it.

camino70
09-28-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm losing my nerve. With the rear well sitting 24" up, what should my goal on the front be, 25"?

shep
09-28-2010, 06:53 PM
I personally would make them even.

camino70
09-30-2010, 06:24 PM
I think I mentioned I was slow above...
The Hotchkis springs were 14.5" tall, I cut 1"=2/3 of a coil out of both of them. I have only monkied with the passenger side and have it installed, no change. I jacked up the drivers side from under the a arm, removed the tire and lowered it till the front end was even. Does this mimic the installation of the other spring or am I pissing in the wind and making excuses not to do the drivers side?

Or did I miss the top coil pocket? Just thought about checking that... is it even possible?

camino70
09-30-2010, 07:28 PM
So it is possible. Got the spring in the pocket correctly and its sitting at 26.5". I am going to start/finish the drivers side before I measure again. I dread it, but have a good, strong feeling I will be doing this again, cutting another 1/3 out of the spring....

Thanks for listening

camino70
10-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Opinions please. Rear is 24.5" to the well lip, front is 26" to the well lip.

PS. I am getting relatively competent in doing this if anyone is needs assistance in the Atlanta area.

L & H Kustoms
10-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Opinions please. Rear is 24.5" to the well lip, front is 26" to the well lip.

PS. I am getting relatively competent in doing this if anyone is needs assistance in the Atlanta area.

Looks great! has a nice stance :cool: