PDA

View Full Version : RideTech 4 Link?

Joe_Rocket
05-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Has anyone seen these? They got them for a few different vehicles...

http://www.ridetech.com/productinfo/airbarstang.asp

Looks interesting. I know everyone seems to prefer a 3 link setup, but I wonder how these compare to a well setup leaf spring suspension?

Steve Chryssos
05-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Let's see how this works :fingersx:

If you only gave me two choices, I would stick with leaf springs. I always get wary, anytime I see the words "No Cutting or Fabrication" tied in with suspension parts. It's the first thing I look for when I see one of these kits. It usually means that compromises have been made in order for the kit to fit within the car's leaf spring suspension "window"--otherwise known as packaging.
When it comes to custom suspension, cutting and fabricating is a good thing. In this case, the length of the arms and the location of the pivot points may be compromised. This particular design emulates a triangulated 4 bar. If you are building a pure street car that will never be pushed to it's limits, and you want to avoid more involved "cutting and fabricating", Art Morrison makes a triangulated four bar that looks better than the tri-4 bar kit you presented but, appropriately, requires a bit more work to install. Pivot points must be welded to the axle housing and frame.

http://www.artmorrison.com/tri4barrearclip.htm

Performance is more than likely on par with leaf springs, but it'll ride better than leaf springs and is adjustable. So you're ahead of the game if this is a street car. For a true performance upgrade, you should step up to a parallel 4-bar or 3-link. Handling prowess ride and adjustability all improve, packaging is more challenging.

What are your goals?

Modo Innovations
05-22-2005, 06:30 PM
I just picked up the latest Camaro Performers mag, they show a not so detailed install of these kits. I'm by far no expert but the upper bar mounts that attach to the frame rails is not up to par. The bracket attaches to the sheetmetal frame rails with 3/8" self tapping bolts. The only welding that appears to be needed is where the upper bars mount to the top of the rearend housing and the upper bars seem short, but again I'm by fare no expert. I do like how the lower bars mount, they use the factory front spring perches and the factory spring mounts on the rear end.

If the car is little on horsepower then I would say this kit is ok.
Anyway that's my 2 cents.
Shannon

Joe_Rocket
05-23-2005, 11:04 AM
My goals?

For now, I'm just doing the occasional Sunday cruise on the streets... But my car and my goals keep evloving from year to year.

I think I'm going to stick with leafs for a while, mostly, because I haven't decided one way or another what to put back there. So, keeping it low budget until I know for sure sounds safe. Not to mention, I'm trying to save a few bucks to convert my auto trans to a 5 or 6 speed.

Thanks, for the input, though. I just wanted to see what people thought since it appeared to be a new product. There are so many products out there written up with all the marketing hype and you never know what to believe. That's why I'm here asking questions....