PDA

View Full Version : Engine just died - electrical gremlin

dhardison
05-20-2005, 01:06 PM
This afternoon I ran the valves in my Nova, by using a remote starter switch. I left the ignition switch in the off position and removed the coil wire from the coil. When cranking over the engine there was a spark shooting from the center to the positive terminal on the coil (which I personally had no problem with). When I got everything buttoned back up I started the engine and it ran for about 30 seconds then just died. Now it won't hit a lick (i.e. won't fire). If I remove the coil wire from the coil now and crank the engine, I no longer have that spark. I changed the coil out but still nothing..... Check all the fuses as well, all look fine.

Any thoughts? I'm running a Pertronix ignition module, maybe it died?

HELP!
Dan

OHCbird
05-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Probably. Chris at Pertronix told me not to run w/o the wire in the coil tower (on a ford 6 app).

dhardison
05-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks. I wonder why it ran at all THEN died. I guess I'll swap in some points and see if they work.

I'm not at ALL good with auto electrical stuff. Anyone know where I can check for proper voltage? Like across the coil maybe. Basically where can I check to see if I'm getting juice to the ignition?

Dan

dhardison
05-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Called Pertronix, they said I definitely fried the ignition module. Picking up a new module from the local Jeg's tomorrow.

They suggest completely disconnecting the module from the coil when the ignition key is left on for long periods as well as when using a remote starter to bump over the engine. $75 mistake, live-n-learn I guess..........

Dan

OHCbird
05-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Yep- was told the same, to treat it like Toyota's 'ignitor' ignition (funny- my 89 4runner has 300K miles on the same ignitor...).