PDA

View Full Version : change in rear roll stiffness from ARB

BillyShope
09-22-2010, 04:49 AM
Got a phone call yesterday from a racer who was using my spreadsheet on Page 25 to determine his car's roll stiffness. This got me to wondering about a question that's been bothering me.

I realize most posters here are not involved in dragracing. But, there are a few. On the other hand, the probability of a poster having wheel scales is higher here than in most dragracing forums.

Which brings me to my question: How much of a change in front roll stiffness percentage occurs with the installation of an ARB?

For those who never go near a dragstrip, an ARB is a rear swaybar (Anti-Roll Bar) with a ridiculously high rate. The reaction to the driveshaft torque is fed back to the rear suspension in accordance with the ratio of front-to-rear roll stiffness. By increasing the rear roll stiffness, more of the driveshaft torque is canceled, resulting in more equal rear tire loading and better launch performance. In the process, it also lessens the twisting seen at the front of the car.

Anyway, it would take only a few minutes, using some wheel scales and the spreadsheet, to determine the difference.

Has anyone done this?
http://www.racetec.cc/shope