PDA

View Full Version : California Smog Question????

SYDEWAYZ71
08-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Well a friend of mine found a car that he's thinking of buying (85 malibu)and we just found out that the car has a V-6 :banghead: So what I need to know is If we put a stock 350 crate in place of the sixxer will we be able to smog the car?Or will the smog shop say :getout: . We plan on keeping the car smog legal so if we have to we'll pull all the smog equipment off of a 305 car(plenty around here in local yards) and the computer<---- Iguess. Any help appreciated.

zbugger
08-28-2004, 03:35 PM
You can only do that if a small block v-8 was offered as an option for that car. Otherwise, it's got to be a newer motor, and it will have to be smogged like the vehicle it originally came out of. Say you put a TPI 350 out of a 90 Camaro in there. You'd have to have all the smog stuff from the Camaro, and the exhaust would have to be similar as well. Kinda sucks.

dennis68
08-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Allen pretty much nailed it. The G body Malibu was offered with a V8 so it is a legal swap. You will need to make the engine meet the emissions criteria for either the year of the engine or the year of the chassis, whichever is newer. Those G bodies are nice when done right, pick it up.

SYDEWAYZ71
08-28-2004, 07:39 PM
Well I went and checked out the mali and it was very rough. Even for $300 we still had to pass....... way to much stuff missing or broken. Not looking for another money pit! Guess I'm gonna have to put the 350 in my 83 wagon :drool: But thanks for the 411!

68RallySport
08-31-2004, 10:37 AM
Go with the wagon!!! i love wagon sleepers its just so deadls bad a$$! Why havnt i seen any of u guys in the bay? I know there are a few muscle cars here but i think i would spot u guys if u drove by...
David