PDA

View Full Version : Thank You...FOR THE AWESOME TRACK!!

HectorM52
09-21-2010, 05:41 PM
I've seen it mentioned a couple of times, but I wanted to say it specifically...

The track was freakin' awesome!! It was FAST, had several technical areas that we love (slaloms, particularly), tightened up enough to keep it safe, and was just cool.

I loved the fact that you could do a little drifting on it whether or not it helped my time!!

AND...now I wanted to throw out a couple "ideas" about how I think the auto-x could be EVEN BETTER:

1) Start earlier. It was set up the night before, so why not get started earlier? Hell, I'd show up at 7:00 a.m. to get a few more runs in.

I partially know the reason why we couldn't have started any earlier THIS YEAR...which is because the staging area was contained in the very back of the lot so any later traffic didn't really have a good "path" to get to the staging area...which leads me to my next suggestion...

2) Open the road so we can pull around from the bottom of that back lot. I saw a gate down there. I assume there's a road that goes back behind those gas stations that leads to that lot.

OR

Make a path where we can get in and out of that lot. Yes, it might take just a little bit of the track away, but it's basically just that end u-turn...which leads to my last suggestion...

3) Get rid of the u-turn at the end. I feel like it added extra time, but not really any "fun" to the run. Plus, that was the area that our lone casualty was smacked!

Anyway, I just wanted to throw out that I absolutely loved the track and I want next year's track to be very similar!!

Tucks69
09-21-2010, 05:54 PM
X2 on the great track layout! I noticed the course workers did not spend much time sitting cones up also!

GeoffP
09-21-2010, 06:04 PM
I agree as well - I really enjoyed the layout. I would also like to see it start earlier since everything was setup the night before. There were quite a few of us there by 7:00 and a ton there by 7:30. I'm so stoked that I can't stay off the Internet for looking at stuff to improve my car and to learn more about driving better.

Derek69SS
09-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Great course! I liked how technical it was through the loop back to the straightaway... you had to set it up 4 turns back in order to carry any speed into the straight.

protouring70
09-22-2010, 03:29 AM
X2 on the great track layout! I noticed the course workers did not spend much time sitting cones up also!

Hey thats because I didn't get the TrailBlazer out there! Thought you needed a break!!!! HAHAHA

JEFFTATE
09-22-2010, 04:27 AM
Yep!
This was the best course we've ever had at Smokies Stadium .
It was fast , wide , technical ,and low maintenance.
I'm just sorry about Tony Bolton hitting the curb and damaging his wheel.
But , we can continue to improve as the years go by ..

TonyBolton
09-22-2010, 04:32 AM
Once I figured the damage wasn't gonna be in the 4-digit range, I was more pissed about throwing away the good run I had going. It was going to make the shootout a lil' more "tight". :)

I can't thank the spectator that loaned me a Cobra R wheel to get my heap back home enough, though.

Just reaffirms the whole attitude of the people there. From the watchers to the drivers to the vendors.

01badz28
09-22-2010, 04:52 AM
I thought the course was great - fast, technical, and used all of the lot.

Although it sucks that Tony's car got damaged, I know he would be the first to agree with me that damaging a car is a risk that can happen anytime you race a car.

Derek69SS
09-22-2010, 05:26 AM
3) Get rid of the u-turn at the end. I feel like it added extra time, but not really any "fun" to the run. Plus, that was the area that our lone casualty was smacked!
I'd just suggest adding a chicane or slolom before any hazards to lower the speeds into those areas, and keep using as much of the lot as possible.

RAFTRACER
09-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Glad everyone enjoyed the course, I know it was significantly different than years past. I think everyones car fit better through this one ..........

That particular lot is small and has some limitations. Using the whole area included going in and out of islands and using the roadway as a straightaway. We did this as safely as possible , and I was not ultra concerned with the course .....I did not however like at all the proximity of the course to the timing and scoring area and spectator area in front of the pits. It was way,way too close. We probably could have done something with that , but we would have lost pit space. As far has the sharp 90 and 180 that led to the finish, I am very sorry that we had a single incident there, but these things can and will happen at any motorsports events. You try to limit risk as well as you can , but these things can still happen. I/we set the finish up like that to keep the finish safe , slow and be able to re-enter the pit area at safe speeds. If we would have had a faster finish in the main lot, things still could have "happened" with alot more speed. It wasn't good that Tony had the incident, but to be quite honest , Ron and the other gentleman that spun at the end of the straight scared me alot more. How those two avoided curb contact eludes me.....As always said it is better to be lucky than good.

We could tweak the course somewhat now that I know what we are dealing with to make it better. We will work on it next year if I am invited to come back....Bill and I were talking about the lots on Teaster Rd. ... If he could make that happen, all of this would be mute. If he DOES make that happen, you certainly will not want to miss RTTH7, because those lots are HUGE !!!

Another big improvement would be using a grid instead of staging lanes. Moving your car every minute 30x before a run sucks....We had the space to do this and we should have. The event would have been alot better if you could make your run, park your car, and then go again when it is your turn.

The last thing we need to address is that we must be able to run two cars at a time. Bill's timing equipment is capable , but he said that there was some software issue that was not allowing it. That would have saved 20sec. alone per car on course. Would have made a huge difference at the end of the day.

I had a great time spending time with you all, glad that everyone seemed to enjoy their day even though it was LONG,LONG. We all should have made Bill run his car at the end of the day....He worked all day and never played. He deserved a little "drive" time.......

tommycomfort
09-22-2010, 07:42 AM
Like others have said, a big hats off to Danny and the other guys for setting up an awesome course. I look forward to tapping Danny's vast knowledge of auto-x and road course work in the near future. Anybody else check out his accomplishments? Wow!
Tom

protouring70
09-22-2010, 12:41 PM
I did enjoy the ride with Chris, the track was way faster and alot more fun ! Great job!

Bill Howell
09-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Danny, you are always welcomed from now on Buddy, no invite needed.
Yes, I am working on the new City lot for next year, and will know something on that soon. Since we will be moving the event to another weekend next year, we will not be worried about traffic or the lot being full of trucks and trailers here for the Grand Rod Run.
Timing equipment software is an issue, but I am working to resolve it now. Yes, a grid system is the way to go, next year, next year...
I really wanted to run the charger at least once, but just too busy this time. That is ok though, I have had the chance to play alot this year, so not biggy.

dropit69
09-22-2010, 04:57 PM
i thought it was a nice layout too..and now understand the ending curve..only other thing that sucked was lack of getting down to get food..be nice to get some people to sell dogs and burgers at the event..i was starved by the end of it..

tommycomfort
09-22-2010, 05:22 PM
i thought it was a nice layout too..and now understand the ending curve..only other thing that sucked was lack of getting down to get food..be nice to get some people to sell dogs and burgers at the event..i was starved by the end of it..

Should have swung by the our blue canopy, Deb was cranking out sandwiches like it was her job. We ended up throwing out some of the cold cuts when we got home.
Tom

fastrash
09-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Just thought I'd say hello to all of you at the RTTH 6. I was one of Danny's assistants this weekend in the Yellow Z06.

Had an absolute blast and got to throw my car around a bit. Need to go shopping for a cool older ride........wish I still had the 69 RS Camaro I had a few years back, although it was Pro Street. Oh well, I may end up with something someday....right Mark??

I was great to make amny new freinds - hope you all invite us back next year !!

Thanks again Danny for inviting me to help out and thanks to Bill and the rest for your Southern Hospitality!

Todd Rumpke

Scott Parkhurst
09-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Todd- it was cool chatting with you at the drags...Please consider my offer to drive the wagon and show me what it's really capable of on the Auto-x! Lord knows it can go quicker than I can drive it now (unless it's a straight line anyway)! That'd be a blast!

David Sloan
09-23-2010, 04:10 AM
Hey Danny, Todd an every body that came, We would love to have you guys come to our event as well next year, Its only about 3.5 hours south of the P.F. show
Bill is always helping us out with his timing an cone's not to mention bring every thing an taking the time come down here on his dime.
Thanks again for coming out we had a blast an we want to learn all we can from you guys.

Here is a link to our event (PSMC)
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100

71duster
09-23-2010, 04:25 AM
that was an AWSOME course guys! i wish i could have gotten to run it,if my trans wouldn't have failed! i went a couple of rounds with john henry,but it's just not the same. i would have loved to had hung the duster out a little!

Hotwire
08-09-2011, 04:07 AM
I know, holy old post batman! BUT, was looking up info on rtth to send to my buddies and saw this, a ghost of last year's track! :D

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=pigeon+forge,+tn,+baseball+stadium&ll=35.987181,-83.603315&spn=0.001602,0.002985&fb=1&gl=us&t=h&z=19