PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone entered in the Marfa Presidio Open Road Race?

Warbird
09-20-2010, 05:39 AM
I'll be there for the first running of this event and was wondering if there will be any Pro-touring people there. I would think that these events would be perfect for trying out your hard work. I've been at this for a few years and don't see many classics there. So far there have been a few 1st generation Camaros, a few early Mustangs and a 71 'Cuda that has become a regular at the Big Bend Race. I run a '79 Trans Am that is built for open road racing, but is still very streetable and gets over 20 mpg on the highway with a 489 Chevy.
Check out http://mporr.net/ for more information. :2nd:

JEFFTATE
09-21-2010, 04:57 AM
That looks like a really cool race.
I wish there were more of these around the country.
Open Road Races are dangerous , though.

Scott Parkhurst
09-21-2010, 07:12 AM
I've run a few open road races and they rock!

All racing is dangerous- that's why it's so cool. Running for a slew of miles over 100 mph is one of the things my wagon is built to do. I love the added challenge of hitting the rally time, as that element is unique to ORR.

I would LOVE to see an open road race element added to the P/T events - the build style is well-suited to it.

Warbird
09-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Hey Scott,
I feel the same way as you about the open road races and the cars built by people on this forum. I love the open road and speed, but also make up my time in the straits. No need to be anywhere near the limits on the corners. They are public roads with ruts and patches and off camber for drainage etc... I run for fun and time myself if I get bored ;-) . It's also very cool to have a 30 year old car running beween a Z06 and a Lamborgini averaging 145 mph. These races satisfy my need for speed. Unfortunately I just found out that this race has been cancelled.
The Chevelle is a beauty,
John

JEFFTATE
09-22-2010, 11:52 AM
I hate to hear that it has been cancelled ..
I love this sort of thing ..