PDA

View Full Version : "Spirit of the Event" award and trip to OUSCI

tommycomfort
09-20-2010, 04:10 AM
We just wanted to thank everyone for the great time this weekend and at all the events we have been able to make this year. As most people know, we were able to make RTTH's 5 in the 64 wagon last year and felt like the Pro-Touring group was where we really fit into the car hobby. Our 66 Chevelle has been an eight plus year project that has changed goals along the way from a frame off daily driver, to all out show car to what it finally ended up today, a clean Chevelle with great road manners and not so bad track ability.

As I started thinking about what to say here, the kids were walking out the door on their way to school with sleep in their eyes but huge smiles on their faces. Sad part is that none of their friends really know or will understand what a great honor we were given this last weekend. Even as we were getting home last night at O-dark thirty we were still on cloud nine and the first thing Deb said this morning when the alarm went off was "We're going to the SEMA!" What else can I say about our families passion than that?

So, I write this to say, there are people and cars more deserving to go to OUSCI than us, so I apologize to those that feel like we "stole" their invite. I will say this though. We will do everything in our power to represent our hobby/sport/passion to the best of our ability while we are there and without a doubt have the time of our lives.

Thanks again to everyone that makes these events happen and to those that have become great family friends!

Tom, Debbie, Sam and Kaytlin

In case you never checked out our build threads:
Click here: Here's my run at Pro Touring - Chevelle Tech (http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138088&highlight=our+run+at)

Click here: 66 Chevelle PT build (ours) - Pro-Touring.com (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63334)

protouring70
09-20-2010, 04:16 AM
Congrats to you!

I haven't had any luck with getting the wife to come to the Autocross. so Saturday evening I told her, "You wouldn't believe it, there was a couple of women autocrossing today!" So hopefully next year she will come.

I am glad that it is a family event for you, Something you don't see much of any more.(family's doing things together)

tazzz25906112
09-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Tom you and Debbie are "extremely good" examples of what these events are all about.....I'm really so pleased to hear you're going and hope the trip is awesome for you guys....

^5 Protouring70,,, I agree

Bad94
09-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Tom and his family are great people to know. Willing to help anyone if they can.

I know that the weekend started out not so good with the 66 but i would say that changed 110% by sunday.

wiedemab
09-20-2010, 09:43 AM
I said it in the other thread, but this literally made my weekend. Thanks for calling us on our way home to let us know. I got goosebumps when you told me..............I was struggling to stay awake driving, but after your news, Dad and I were so excited for you.

If there is anything that I can do to help you prepare as the event nears, please don't hesitate to give me a call.

tazzz25906112
09-20-2010, 11:22 AM
^5 Brandon besides being the truly great person you (and your dad) always are,,,, that's exactly the spirit this community embodies and why I consider myself luck to be a part of it......

John Wright
09-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Congrats Tom and family....enjoy SEMA enough for all of us who can't go.

Wiedo
09-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Tom & family, congrats & thank Kaylyn for the homemade cookies !!!!!! Wiedo

dropit69
09-20-2010, 01:26 PM
I was thrilled for you and the family when Bill called that out..if ya need any help with anything let me know im not that far away and would help in a heartbeat.and have to agree Kaytlins cookies are awesome..

David Sloan
09-20-2010, 01:40 PM
I for one dont think it could have gone to anyone better than you an your family.
It was good to meat you guys hope we can do it again!!

Tucks69
09-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Congrats Tom!! Do us proud! The Chevelle looks great also. Yall have fun and look forward to seeing you and the family next year!

CarlC
09-20-2010, 02:51 PM
That's great Tom! I hope to see you there.

Yelcamino
09-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Tom - you didn't steal anything from anybody! You and your family are very deserving of the invite and I for one am extremely happy for you and proud to call you my friends! :cheers:

I hope you have a great time at SEMA and that everyone gets to enjoy seeing your Chevelle and what a family can do together! :twothumbs

66SuperSport
09-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Tom

That's awesome !!!!!!!!!

We'll be there all week and are going to OUSCI on Saturday. See you there.

Chris

Bill Howell
09-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Congratulations Tom Debbie and Sam and Kaytlin,
I really struggled with the award Saturday and Sunday. First, everyone here I consider a friend, second, there are so many cool cars at RTTHs every year and third, the OUSCI is the crowning jewel of the events this year and I had to be sure I was actually sending someone that as Jimi Day says, "Fits the spirit of the Event." I looked at about four cars that I felt were deserving, looked at the owners, looked at how they acted and reacted with the group and thought back on this whole year of events. Once I did that, I could only see Tom and Debbie as the winners, or should I say deservers of the award, IMO. Most people don't know this, but we had a couple that had come to Pigeon Forge to both celebrate their anniversary and participate in RTTHs. Unfortunately for them, they hurt the motor in their Regal. Chris called me on Saturday night and asked if there was anyone that could help them get home. Tom and Debbie had their truck and trailer here, plus both the chevelle and wagon. Tom did not hesitate volunteering to haul Chris' car home if only Chris would drive the chevelle for him so he would have the room on the trailer. This is the kind of people Tom and Debbie are. They have been to four events with me this year, have helped anyone that needed help, tools, parts, etc, including myself at Day at the Strip when I had electrical issues with the Dodge. I have no doubt they will represent the Protouring movement well and I look forward to seeing them at SEMA, the Protouring Dinner, and OUSCI. I am sure it will be a fun week for their family and a blast to watch them enjoy themselves.

bret
09-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Tom, you stole nothing. Bill made the absolute correct choice in sending you, your car, and your family to Las Vegas. That event is supposed to be about grassroots participation. I can't imagine who might better define that. Enjoy!

And a big congrats to Kyle Tucker for winning his invitation this weekend!

Mike Norris
09-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Very Cool Tom !! I wish I could have been there to see it all. Let me know if you need anything and it will be good to see you out in Vegas for sure.

Mike Norris

Ron S
09-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Tommy, I don't think I have ever seen you, or any member of your family at an event, without a big old smile on your faces. You stole nothing, your car is one the nicest there, and always in the hunt. I think Bill made a good choice, enjoy! Ron

ProdigyCustoms
09-20-2010, 05:56 PM
I was lucky enough to be asked for my opinion. I was glad Bill had to make the final decision. He fouled me and had me thinking he wasn't going to give it away at all, and that is the truth. As Bill mentioned 4 cars were at the top.

Your sportsmanship and enthusiasm made you the clear choice.

Congratulations, your going to check one bucket item off the list now.

See ya at SEMA!

Scott Parkhurst
09-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Tommy-

You and your family are the coolest! I felt like I knew you guys
forever as soon as we met.

I look forward to seeing you all again at SEMA and seeing the wagon develop as well.

You're a credit to the sport Tommy! Another great call on behalf of RTTH management...

RomsMotors
09-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Congratulations Tom, Debbie, Sam, and Kaytlin,

I think Bill picked the right person for for the spirit of the event award. My dad and I both enjoyed talking to you. I wish you luck out at SEMA and OUSCI. I know you guys will represent the award well. I hope to see you guys next year at the events.

Scott Romszewicz

Derek69SS
09-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Tommy, congrats! You deserved it!

I didn't know too many people at this event, (haven't been very active on this forum since having kids) but you really went out of your way to make me feel like a part of the group.

HILROD
09-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Stole shmole! You deserve every bit of it! Have a great trip!

68camino
09-21-2010, 04:10 AM
Tom, Congratulations. I know you and the family will have a blast.

Mike Holleman
09-21-2010, 04:17 AM
Good things happen to good people. Bill made an excellent choice. The Farringtons are indeed good folks and I am proud to be among those they consider friends. Now,, can I carry your bags for you?
Mike

RJ66
09-21-2010, 04:42 AM
Congratts Tom well deserved, see ya down there!!!!!

JEFFTATE
09-21-2010, 05:00 AM
Congrats Tom !
Your family is the best !!

Payton King
09-21-2010, 05:12 AM
See you at every event I attended this year...all 2 of them. From Motorstate to RTTH. Always a family affair and always having a good time.

Take it all in! You will have a ball.

tommycomfort
09-21-2010, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I would really like to reply individually to all the great people we have met at every event since we started. But... now that we're starting to settle into the reality of getting the car ready, becoming a better driver and funding the trip we're realizing we have eight weeks worth of work to get done in five.

Thanks again for the incredible support!

ProdigyCustoms
09-21-2010, 06:16 AM
Welcome to the SEMA thrash buddy. If you guys need anything we can provide for the project, let me know and I will hook you up with some "Industry Pricing"

Bow Tie 67
09-21-2010, 06:43 AM
To the Farrington Family, Congratulations on a well deserved invitation to OUSCI. My hat is off to each and everyone in the family.

Cheers!!

Stg1Regal
09-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Most people don't know this, but we had a couple that had come to Pigeon Forge to both celebrate their anniversary and participate in RTTHs. Unfortunately for them, they hurt the motor in their Regal. Chris called me on Saturday night and asked if there was anyone that could help them get home. Tom and Debbie had their truck and trailer here, plus both the chevelle and wagon. Tom did not hesitate volunteering to haul Chris' car home if only Chris would drive the chevelle for him so he would have the room on the trailer. This is the kind of people Tom and Debbie are.

Tom, Deb, Sam & Katelyn We, ( my wife and I) can't say enough thanks for getting our Regal back here to Indiana.

I had the opporotunity to ride shotgun back in their towing truck and got to chat with both Debbie and Tom while they switched out driving duties.

That " Sprirt" has been there along time, they were both great people to talk too and chat with, they've been into cars for quiet awhile and our enthusatic to share their knowledge.

Bill you did pick the right people!!!!

Tom and Debbie you guys totaly deserve it!!!

and keep up your TDS spirt... oK? ( inside humor) :)

DLinson
09-22-2010, 10:13 AM
I thought Debbie got the invite with the wagon? I guess Tom and the Chevelle will do. :poke: Congratulations you and the family really did deserve it. It was nice to meet you, my wife got a kick out of you saying goodbye to your daughters and making sure they had the baseball bat handy just in case.

It was really generous of you to pull your car off the trailer and help someone in need.

Good luck in Vegas, I'll be there so hopefully I can get to the event as well and cheer for you, Kyle and Bryan.

Dennis

tommycomfort
09-22-2010, 10:53 AM
I thought Debbie got the invite with the wagon? I guess Tom and the Chevelle will do. :poke: Congratulations you and the family really did deserve it. It was nice to meet you, my wife got a kick out of you saying goodbye to your daughters and making sure they had the baseball bat handy just in case.

It was really generous of you to pull your car off the trailer and help someone in need.

Good luck in Vegas, I'll be there so hopefully I can get to the event as well and cheer for you, Kyle and Bryan.

Dennis

Sure, two 17 year old girls and a beat up old Chevelle wagon driving through the night, what could go wrong... Never hurts to have a baseball bat since she isn't old enough for a concealed carry permit. :fingersx: