PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to everyone

Bill Howell
09-19-2010, 07:44 PM
First, thanks to everyone that took the time to come to RTTHs6. It is always such a pleasure to have everyone come over and have a good time. It too is always great to see old friends every year and make new ones each year.
Secondly, a special thanks to Melinda, Yancy, Danny, Mark,Albert and all the others that did so much behind the scenes to make the event a success. So many of you helped out in so many ways from running to the story to taking out the trash that I just don't have the space to type it, but you know who you are and thanks.
Then as always, thanks to all the vendors that stepped up and made this event happen. In no particular order, thanks BFG, DSE, Ridetech, Bowler, Keisler, Precision Hot Rod, Baer Brakes, Vintage Air, Forgeline, Prodigy Customs, ET Graphics, Speed by Spectre,10/10s and Classic Instruments for all the door prizes and financial support that made this such a success.
Friday, the Vintage Air sponsored cruise thru the Dragon then the BBQ at Precision Hot Rods was such a fun kick off. I took the rollback, but thankfully we did not need it on the cruise. we did have to tow a couple home from the BBQ though, thankfully no major carnage this year on the cruise.
Saturday, the weather was perfect and we had a LONG day at the Autocross. Best time was a 1.02 minute run by our chief instructor, Danny Popp, in his killer 72 Vette. Most ran in the 1.10-1.15 range, so with 76 cars running, you can do the math and see it took a while to get all the runs in. However, for those that did not get enough, after a top 8 shoot out, we had about two hours of fun runs, good times.
Following the autocross, Albert treated everyone to a sweet dinner at the Toy Box. We grilled Steaks, had bread and Salad, and plenty drinks for everyone. We had 75 or so steaks and I don't think we had any left over by the end of the night so great crowd. I think someone turned the lights out about 3am Sunday morning, however, I was long gone before then.
Sunday was drag racing and the new Baer Speed/Stop Challenge. We drag raced until everyone had ran all they wanted, then set the track up for the Speed Stop. Everyone got 3 laps before we tallied the scores and came up with the results. Mike and the crew at Speed by Spectre came all the way from Cali to both run their cool El Camino and give out their very cool Top Speed award.
Kyle Tucker won the Autocross and the Quick Reaction, with a perfect .000 light, Ron Schwarz won the Speed/Stop and Mr. Linson, in his cool ChevyII took the Quick ET.
Tony Bolton hit a curb and hurt his mustang, got the Hard Luck Award, but then his name was drawn for the Forgeline wheels, given away by Forgeline and Prodigy Customs, so he had a good weekend after all.
Overall King of the Hill award went to Brian Finch, and since he already had an invite to the OUSCI, that coveted invite went to the next finisher, which was Kyle Tucker. Another very special, "SPIRIT of the EVENT" award went to Tom Farrington. He also got a OUSCI invite for his sportsmanship observed at both this event and several others this year. He and his wife Debbie and son have been to several events and are always there to help out and loan tools and parts to anyone that needs anything. In fact, they volunteered to haul another participant all the way home to Illinois after that guy had a motor issue. Just a great family, that gives everywhere they go and I was happy to reward that with an invite to the Optima event. Be sure and watch for their very nice 66 Chevelle at this year's event. Maybe next year, Debbie will get to take her 65 Malibu wagon, another cool ride they bring to every event.
The one thing I failed to do at the awards was to announce the winners in the contingency program we have been working on all year and for that I am truely sorry to both the participants and the vendors that have stepped up to this program. I just overlooked that on my list this afternoon. I will have that info posted tomorrow, once i double check all the entries. It is hard to do that on the fly and I want to be sure it is right since I have the time to double check now.
SO, thanks guys, I hope everyone had a great time, have a safe trip home and I look forward to seeing everyone again next year.

andrewb70
09-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Sounds awesome! I am definitely going to make next year.

Andrew

zbugger
09-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Sounds like it was an awesome event. I await the day I can go back and have fun with you all again. I really hate missing it.

TonyBolton
09-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Thank you so much to everyone that has helped evolve the RTTH event to the level of class and professionalism that it is today. I've had 2 solid weeks of bad car luck but, but hopefully winning the wheels is a sign of a turning for the better.

I've attended many events in my years of autocrossing, but non leave me waiting for the next quite like the RTTH event. The car racing is fun no doubt, but the whole atmosphere that all the participants and spectators create is absolutely overwhelming great!

BayouSS
09-20-2010, 03:58 AM
We are so sorry we missed the event this year, looks like its getting bigger every year. This is one class act for sure and getting better. We'll be there next year for sure.

David Sloan
09-20-2010, 04:03 AM
Yes in deed! I have been to this event since the very begining an hope i never have to miss it. So much fun an so many good people.
Thanks to every one!

Mike Norris
09-20-2010, 04:08 AM
Hey Bill,

Sorry I could not make it this year, but things changed at the last minute and so it goes. I have always had a great time each year seeing y'all and glad to hear everyone had a great time as always.

Talk to you soon.

Mike Norris

protouring70
09-20-2010, 04:08 AM
Wow! I can't believe how you raise the bar each year! The group that has helped you achieve this each and every year keeps stepping up to the plate and blows the previous year out of the water!:thankyou:
So thanks for a great weekend!!!!

And as always, it was great to meet new friends and reunite with old ones!
Thanks again Bill for creating this enjoyable atmosphere for us!

cheapthrillz
09-20-2010, 04:41 AM
Thanks Bill, I had a blast just hanging out with everybody. Hopefully I can bring my boat next year..... it still wouldn't be competitive though.

P.S. Thanks for letting us take BillyGoat for a spin and sorry for all the miles me and Wes put on it when we took it down to Cherokee Saturday night.....

Just kidding.

01badz28
09-20-2010, 04:50 AM
Thanks for putting on an awesome event Bill. This event seems to get bigger and better every year - I'm already looking forward to running RTTH 7. :cheers:

ACR-Mark
09-20-2010, 05:09 AM
I had a blast. The course setup was awesome. Competition was pretty fierce. I was really impressed with Tony's driving, he did an excellent job making that Mustang turn, and they normally don't like to turn. Sorry to see the mishap at the end, but glad he won the wheels.
Tucker's car is extremely fast, I couldn't believe how fast he shot up through the first part of the course, it was insane! I was struggling to get to 55 mph before having to hit the brakes for the first hard right into the parking lot.
I'm glad people got to make use out of the extra helmets I brought along.
76 entrants! That is awesome! I'm glad I was allowed to be a part of it.

shortbus
09-20-2010, 05:13 AM
Hello everyone, The event was awesome. I had a great time. As usual you guys have a ton of cool cars. I can't wait until my car is old as dirt and is cool too!

GeoffP
09-20-2010, 07:08 AM
Bill thanks for everything. You did an outstanding job putting everything together again. I hope that next year I will actually get to attend for the WHOLE weekend instead of arriving too late (and missing dinner - thanks for the refund BTW) and then leaving early on Saturday from getting too hot. I'm already looking forward to next year!

Hotwire
09-20-2010, 07:40 AM
Bill thanks again, I really enjoy the time spent in TN when you're involved!! Can't wait for next year!:fingersx:

I got pics of everyone's car @ Mainstay, some cars on the cruise, ALL the cars participating in the autox, and a small amount @ the drag. Check the link in the sig, if you ran autox, pm me your car # and email addy. If you were @ mainstay or saw me on the cruise, describe your car and I'll find the pic.

Don't respond here, I have a thread set up for pics..

tazzz25906112
09-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Another "Smash Hit" of an event buddy.... We had a great time as always,,, thanks Bill.

TonyBolton
09-20-2010, 09:33 AM
I had a blast. The course setup was awesome. Competition was pretty fierce. I was really impressed with Tony's driving, he did an excellent job making that Mustang turn, and they normally don't like to turn. Sorry to see the mishap at the end, but glad he won the wheels.
Tucker's car is extremely fast, I couldn't believe how fast he shot up through the first part of the course, it was insane! I was struggling to get to 55 mph before having to hit the brakes for the first hard right into the parking lot.
I'm glad people got to make use out of the extra helmets I brought along.
76 entrants! That is awesome! I'm glad I was allowed to be a part of it.

I knew you were getting 9/10ths outta that RX8, if not 10/10th's. I think we both felt a little "limp" on the straightaways. :) Your car is light with no power and mine is super heavy with marginally adequate power. :cheers:

Those Star Spec's looked like they were keeping you on the line though. I wished they'd make them in my size.

TonyBolton
09-20-2010, 10:06 AM
I just got a PM from J.R. Granatelli and he saw what all I put his parts through. He's sending me a brand new set of C/C plates FREE of charge!

Man, i'm so thankful! Looks like i'm out a tie rod and a mirror. 30$

Steve Chryssos
09-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Sounds like an amazing time. Wish I had made it but, this happened two days prior:

Uhh...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/09/steveupdate5-1.jpg

wiedemab
09-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Sounds like an amazing time. Wish I had made it but, this happened two days prior:

Uhh...

Arghhhhhhh - that sucks! Well what else to do but, build it bigger, better, and badder - right?

xxxturbo6
09-20-2010, 10:32 AM
I just got a PM from J.R. Granatelli and he saw what all I put his parts through. He's sending me a brand new set of C/C plates FREE of charge!

Man, i'm so thankful! Looks like i'm out a tie rod and a mirror. 30$ Tony it is always fun to watch you run but when I heard what happend I was bummed man! Glad to hear you won those awesome wheels!! Now have the centers done in Black (since you love that) and get that thing back on the road! :cheers:

Scot W.

TonyBolton
09-20-2010, 11:05 AM

Uhh...

Oh man!! They're all oily!!! ;) I certainly missed seeing you there and the car, man!

Tony it is always fun to watch you run but when I heard what happend I was bummed man! Glad to hear you won those awesome wheels!! Now have the centers done in Black (since you love that) and get that thing back on the road! :cheers:

Scot W.

No no.....no rattle can black for me. Gunmetal will be fine. :smoke:

John Wright
09-20-2010, 11:07 AM

Uhh...
Ah man Steve...I had a mis-conception that those things were bullet proof. I have even re-used them over and over thinking that I couldn't wear them out.

GeoffP
09-20-2010, 12:44 PM
I wondered what happened to you Steve. I looked for you and your car off an on all day Saturday.

Juniorr
09-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks alot and job well done Bill, had a great time. Although us crazy canadians had some car troubles we were fortunate enough to get the cars out on the tail of the dragon. I really enjoyed my stay in Pigeon Forge and acquired some memories that will last a lifetime. Its safe to say that was by far the coolest hot rod event ive ever been a part of. Thanks again

dropit69
09-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Bill thanks for coming up with such an event..always have a blast and love the Pigeon Forge area...the giveaways were amazing and the sponsers came out in force ..Thanks to all involved see ya next year..

71duster
09-20-2010, 02:18 PM
thank YOU bill for putting on another awsome event! we had a good time even though Deb had to puke her trans. friday. just gave me a good reason to put my 5 spd. in i guess! hopefully i can keep it together next year for some more mopar support!

Tucks69
09-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks for a great event Bill!! Thanks to all the sponsors also! My wife and son and I had a great time!! I am ready to sign up for RTTH7!!!

Ron S
09-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Just got home, glad Bill caught the Quickest ET, thing. The really cool Chevy II was the fastest ET ,and I'm glad I caught him, and he got his plaque before we all got out of there(Real nice guy).

As always, great event Bill. Can't wait till next year, I think I'll have to take a Valium before the AutoX next year.

That Vette of Danny's just plain cool.

Good seeing everyone, the group keeps getting bigger and bigger. Congrats Brian and Kyle, on the win and invite.

Yelcamino
09-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks Bill and all the unsung heroes working out of the limelight to make this event a reality!

I've been to all the RTTH events except for the first one and they continuously get better!

My wife Carol came with me and she autocrossed and drag raced for the very first time and she did it in a car she only just started driving about three weeks ago! She had a blast and now wants to do a driving school!

What a weekend! I can hardly wait until next year! :cheers:

Scott Parkhurst
09-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Truly a great time!

I brought the family out so I wasn't able to get to the Toybox, as I had to be husband/daddy too! It's all good though- the car worked okay and everyone (family & friends included) all had a great time at RTTH 6.

Every day was another adventure, and completely different than the one before. That's super cool, and we enjoyed the variety of things to do with the car.

It was really cool seeing old friends and making new ones! The participants were all terrific and we didn't see or hear any negativity all weekend. That's always refreshing (and kinda the norm at the P/T events) but it's still a pleasure to experience and deserves mention!

(Would have loved to see ya Steve..!)

The wagon's new engine worked well. I had about 15 miles on it before we left for TN. Now it's got over 2,000 miles on it (fully broken in- LOL!) and it responded well when pushed hard in addition to knocking down 20 mpg on the freeway.

The car handled better than ever, and if I ever learn to drive I think it'll be a player. I'm glad my old dragstrip skills weren't too rusty, and the speed/stop challenge was a blast too! It was nice to finish halfway decent in that deal without ruining (another pair of) tires. It was my third time doing that challenge, and by far my best effort at it.

Thanks again to Bill, and to everyone who we enjoyed spending time with! It was a long drive, but more than worth it! Good times indeed...

Bill Howell
09-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Hey Scott, you know at 2020 miles round trip, you are now qualified to join the infamous Rat Pack if you like, just saying. That way our Crazy Canadian would have a closer "neighbor" to hang with...haha

graluc
09-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Thanks to you Bill and all the guys that helped you put the event on. I've done a lot of car stuff over the years and this is one of the best events I've ever attended. I came last year and ran the Dragon with your crew. That alone caused me to completely rebuild my car with the goal of making RTTH again. I made it, just barely! I beat the crap out of my car and it survived well. Even took me to the mountain bike trails today.

I'll be back next year!

tazzz25906112
09-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Hey Scott, you know at 2020 miles round trip, you are now qualified to join the infamous Rat Pack if you like, just saying. That way our Crazy Canadian would have a closer "neighbor" to hang with...haha

Hell yes Scott, welcome to the Pack buddy,,, it was great to see you down there and great to see another new member in the Pack...

Scott Parkhurst
09-20-2010, 06:43 PM
I'd be honored to be a member of such an esteemed group of nutcases!

Do I have to sign something? Is there a blood ritual? Let me know! LOL!!

RomsMotors
09-20-2010, 06:44 PM
I will like to thank Bill, the sponsors, and the guys that help to put on the event. It was my first rtth and I'm hooked. I hope to be there next year. Thanks again hope to see you all next year at the different events.:cheers:

Scott

Bill Howell
09-20-2010, 06:47 PM
I'd be honored to be a member of such an esteemed group of nutcases!

Do I have to sign something? Is there a blood ritual? Let me know! LOL!!

HaHa, all I will say is it involves a dinner, and birthday singing........ ask Jimi Day and he only has one mouse ear so far......

tazzz25906112
09-20-2010, 09:20 PM
HaHa, all I will say is it involves a dinner, and birthday singing........ ask Jimi Day and he only has one mouse ear so far......

And you know we all have great voices Scott ROFLMAO

HILROD
09-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Saying thanks to Bill isn't enough to express the good time I had. Hopefully next year I'll be able to bring my own car! Thanks again!

Bow Tie 67
09-21-2010, 07:02 AM
Sounds awesome! I am definitely going to make next year.

Andrew

Missed you bud.

Thanks to everyone for a great weekend, now if I can only get this kink out of my back from the ride home.

xxxturbo6
09-21-2010, 09:15 AM
I had a Complete Blast! this past weekend. I have to say a big thanks to Kyle Tucker and the DSE crew for thrashing to get the new DSE suspension under the car just in time to compete! Class act company and employee's..

Next big thanks goes out to Bill and the behind the scenes people who put this all together like Milenda, Yancy, Danny Popp and i'm sure a few i'm forgetting.. THANK YOU!

The Sponsors need a big thanks for continuing their support and stepping the door prizes up with each year! This event has become a huge success that I will never miss regardless if I have a car or not. The friends Iv'e made and the fun at each event I will never forget.

This year was kind of sad and I pretty much kept this to myself so I didn't ruin the fun of others but my wife actually had to put down our Yellow Lab of 15 yrs and her and her neighborhood friend buried him saturday while I was at the Autocross. On my first run I was thinking of old "Bo" with tears in my eye's and that explains why I missed the turn off for the second pass and got a DNF. Sat night after the Autocross I took her to dinner and had some margarittas and discussed how strong this woman really is and how greatfull I am to be married to such a person. Then we made it to the Toy Box for more drinks and laughs..

I already miss RTTH and looking forward to next year..

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Scot W.
GNS

Here is some pic's of me Driving my Junk!! lol
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/09/20100919414-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/09/speedstopresults-1.jpg

Stg1Regal
09-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks Bill and give your self a pat on the back... awesome event!!

Even with my Regal going down , I still had fun, never seen one of the stop and start events ,,very impressive!!!

I also want to say thanks to all the behind the scenes people that help put on the event.

I vow ( and car willing) I will be back next year and participate in all 3 events.

I've been to and particpated other auto events..... but this one , rocks , takes the cake, ect, ect ect.....and ect.

And thanks again Bill for finding a ride for my hurt Regal to get home.

Another thanks to .... well to me.. the BIG NAMES in the industry that I chatted with... thanks it was like chatting and talking with your brother sister or uncle... you guys rock.. thanks for the sponsorships that made it possible to hold and event like this for us average joes to participate in for a reasonable cost.

Derek69SS
09-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Thank you Bill! I had a great time... 30 hours on the road wouldn't be worth it for 5 minutes of competitive driving alone. Great people are what make it worth the trip!

wblanton
09-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Had a great time. Friday with no rain this year was awesome not playing top up, top down. The Auto X set up was really good had a blast. Someone told me that my 1.56 was the best three lap time of the weekend LOL.. Saturday night at the toy box was a hilarious and educational :jump:. First time drag racing was a great time and learning experience.

VA Saleen
09-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Bill,

Thank you for such a great event. I must say that you put on a first class show. It was a pleasure meeting you...and that Apple Pie was fantastic.

I was hanging with the Spectre Performance people and I must say they are first rate as well. I had a chance to ride in the El Camino during the autocross a couple of times and it was a blast. I look forward to returning for RTTH 7 next year and will definitely do the autocross myself.

Thanks again.

Blake

DLinson
09-22-2010, 09:47 AM
This weekend was a lot of fun. I did better in the drag racing and speed stop than I expected. I still need help with the autocross, I stink. I needed a navigator to remind me when to turn right or left. Still lots of fun.

The cruise was a lot of fun, my wife only screamed a few times on the Tail of the Dragon. She tried to video tape the drive but didn't have much luck. We were following Ron in his blue Mustang on the way back and she kept saying she wished she was in his car. It looked like his handled way better than mine.

Thanks to Albert for the steaks.

Above all thanks to Bill for setting up the event and inviting us to his shop and town to enjoy a weekend with our friends and cars. I don't believe Bill got to drive his Charger in any of the events.

Thanks,
Dennis

Scott Parkhurst
09-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Great seeing you Dennis- you kicked butt on the strip!

DLinson
09-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Good to see you again Scott. I figured out how to mash the gas and shift gears okay, it's that turning thing that gets me confused. Thankfully Herb jumped in the Nova on my second and third autocross laps and navigated me through the cones. I did a fun run by myself and got lost again. I guess about 8 second or so is the length of my attention span.

I hope to be back next year even if Bill drops the straight line stuff. Mabey I'll add a new sway bar and front brake rotors and attend a few local autocrosses first.

Dennis

Ron S
09-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Nice meeting you Dennis, nice car, really liked your paint details. I need to practice up on AutoX myself.