PDA

View Full Version : 64 GTO Chassis Support

cspecken
09-19-2010, 07:34 AM
I'm in the process of building my 1964 GTO. Plans are to transplant a LS3 and most likely a T56.

Can a stock chassis support 500 hp that I hope to obtain?
Should I box the chassis?
Add additional inner support in the center of the frame (from transmission cross member back to the rear)?
Are there any prefabbed kits available to add the additional support to the chassis.
Any other suggestions.

wmhjr
09-19-2010, 07:45 AM
I would box the frame no matter what. That will only help to provide more stability and stiffness regardless of hp.

That being said, there is no problem with a stock chassis supporting 500hp whatsoever. '64-67 are the same basic chassis, and I'm running 600 through a TKO600 in a convertible with no problems. There are plenty of people running a good deal more than that.

The issue is far less associated with 500hp and more with how you want the car to handle. Adding lateral frame segments will help, but not terribly significantly. If you're building a track car, a cage would provide the best benefit obviously. I would concentrate on building the most effective suspension you can in order to minimize the negative aspects of our chassis. There are plenty of folks who can help with components for that, and I sure recommend SC&C. I'm ecstatic with how my '66 vert handles in spite of the obvious lack of stiffness in the chassis.

cspecken
09-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the info.

Chris

pitts64
09-25-2010, 12:16 PM
I would sell the GTO and get a 61-64 Catalina..

sprintracer
09-28-2010, 10:59 AM
i see you are in the valley where at?

Blitz
09-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Say what you will but I think the 64 GTO is THE GTO. I've never seen another year GTO I liked better in a Pro-Touring style.

ProdigyCustoms
09-30-2010, 08:04 PM
I was never a big fan of the 64 / 65 until that attention whore The Billy Goat made me famous, LOL!

Boxing the frame helps a little, the crossbracing is really not needed.

MonzaRacer
10-01-2010, 12:21 AM
3/16 plate the open side of frame, for crossmember I would rebuild it so it slides between the frame rails. did this for a guy as we plated it then made the down pieces then cut off the parts that bolted in old paces and closed it off. while doing this you are making wing plates going up, tig weld in 3 or 4 good grade 8 nuts inside frame, maybe drill cross holes incase you need to put socket through frame. Then rehang all of the lines inside the frame. A good riv-nut/polynut kits can make it very easy to remount lines. you can actually make your own hangers and 3/16 is heavy enough to tap and use stock type body bolts if you want.
I am thinking of plating frame on my 84 caprice also.
Oh and if you really want to stiffen it up and add some safety look at the Ridetech Tiger Cage, pricey but VERY cool!