PDA

View Full Version : 1965 impala SS W/Drop Spindles

leadsled 65
09-15-2010, 04:37 PM
I have read the write up on drop spindles and most are from Fbody owners. I have an impala and want to run a airbag setup with dropped spindles. Mainly because this is the easiest way to get better brakes but how would this affect the performance of the car? Anything is better than the stock setup! Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

COPO-RAT
09-16-2010, 05:06 AM
Talk to Tobin at Kore3 about brakes for your stock spindles. I would bet they have something as they have a kit for my '64 Bel Air wagon stock spindles. Tobin is VERY knowledgeable about brakes as well as being a super nice guy. I have a kit from him for my '84 half ton pickup and I would recommend anyone needing brakes to contact him.

Hopefully you get an answer about upgrading to aftermarket spindles, as I posed the same question without any replies. I believe the stock spindles on my '64 are taller than any of the aftermarket spindles which I would guess (again, just a guess as I'm not too knowledgeable about suspension geometry), would be better for camber gain during suspension compression. I do not know how similar your '65 spindles are to mine though.
Hopefully someone will chime in.

GarageToys
02-19-2011, 12:33 PM
My '66 has the early CPP drop spindle/disc brake kit. They're 2" drop spindles and 11" discs. The brakes are not the best for cars as big as ours. I also lost a good deal of turning radius. This winter, I contacted CPP and found out that they have upgraded their drop spindles (mine were bought in 2004) and the new ones accommodate 13" brakes.

You might also check out POL (Performance Online), as they have an eBay store where they sell their 65-70 drop-spindle/13" disc brake kits pretty cheap.