PDA

View Full Version : 78 Trans am need help with direction.

whayden2003
09-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Ok finally doing a project for the shop it's a 1978 Trans am with the lower horsepower numbers matching 400 in it with a automatic not a WS6 car and no t-tops(don't like them anyways). The TA will need minor sheet metal and total interior rebuild(damn rats and critters seem to have wanted the build sheet as much as I did). I am looking for some opinions about the restoring back to stock verus having a little more fun with it and give it a little PT treatment but I don't want to hurt the value of the car. I think these things will be worth something one day and don't want to screw up on my first shop project. Some of the cars I have don't have started off in one direction and the customer changes things in the middle and I think it hurts the value of the car.

twosaturns
09-14-2010, 07:34 AM
I think these things will be worth something one day...

many a trailer park resident has spoken those same words, as the primered T/A sits on blocks.

seriously, I don't think anyone is going to be knocking your door down for a nothing-special '78. do what you want w/ it.

whayden2003
09-14-2010, 07:45 AM
Wow thanks for the honest repley might take it backwhere it came from(yes it was a trailer park).

formula
09-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Option 1: you restore it. It's another stock restored ta. Low power 400, auto, no t-tops. Very nice, probably a 15-18k car at its peak.

Option 2: build it how you want and enjoy the car. Two outcomes here: you go to sell it and no takers, you have to let it go as a loss--but, you enjoyed the car and you got some good advertising out of it, so not all is bad. Or, you go to sell it and somebody is nuts for it, and you come out even/ahead. Then you won the triple crown.

Just like anything else in life, the greater risk has the potential for greater rewards--but it also has the potential for greater losses. You have to decide if you're a safe-bet kinda guy or not.

whayden2003
09-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Sounds good thanks taking it back off the trailer. Whew thought I was going to have to tell the wife she was right again.

critter
09-14-2010, 08:26 AM
First, quit giving all us critter's a chewing out. We're not all bad.

Second, what they said. 1977-78 were some of the highest production years for Trans Ams. Unless it's an SE car (people want to call them "Smokey and The Bandit" cars but can include other packages including the solar gold SE, etc.) its not worth much to anyone except the driver. Build it the way you want it, drive the crap out of it.

NOT A TA
09-14-2010, 10:14 AM
many a trailer park resident has spoken those same words, as the primered T/A sits on blocks.

seriously, I don't think anyone is going to be knocking your door down for a nothing-special '78. do what you want w/ it.

X2, I agree wit6h the others. Restored in todays market can be bought for less than the cost of restoring even without counting labor.

MuscleRodz
09-14-2010, 10:39 AM
build what will represent your shop. if you do restorations, go that way, build hot rods, build one of those

rohrt
09-14-2010, 11:03 AM
In my opionon a nice 2nd gen T/A kicks a$$.

When on the power tour with my brother who has a red 76 T/A and parked my 68 bird convertible next to his.
There something about the screaming chicken, hood scoop, spoilers and fender flares that people just love. He had more people take pics of that car then all the other nice cars around us.

The thing I really like about them is they already handle great with no modifications. They already look good in their stock form.

Just add some power and you have a great street machine.

bramel1967
09-15-2010, 03:19 PM
I would keep it stock outside and in but ls7 and update trans. t56 or overdrive auto. I think it would only make it worth more than one restored to stock.