PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Injection And a Formula Hood

Zyman
09-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Is anyone running fuel injection hooked up to the ram air system of a stock 1970-75 Pontiac Firebird Formula dual snorkel hood?

If so what brand are you running (Mass Flow, Holley, FAST) and how did you have to modify the base of the air cleaner to fit and still line up the top of the air cleaner with the rubber boots on the underside of the hood?

Thanks,

Hammered
09-11-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm running EFI with a factory ram air setup on a '67 Firebird. Just make sure the intake flange height and throttle body height combine to the original combined intake and carb height. For example, the E-brock Torqer intake is 0.4" taller than stock and a 3" throttle body would be 0.25 inch shorter than a Q-jet so the total difference is an extra 1/8" inch which won't be a problem. Most throttle bodies are around 2" tall though, so you'll probably have to run a spacer to get the right height. In that case, you can machine the spacer to get the height dead on.

The only other complexity will be modifying the TB or the air cleaner base to make up for the Q-jet centering notches. I had a friend machine notches in the TB to accept the air cleaner.

Ollie8974
09-13-2010, 04:34 AM
Hi, Mark.

This is the set up I am using on my 79 TA to retain the shaker. The next time you are at the local Pick a Part. Keep an eye out for a spacer like these. They are on GM TBIs. They are the same size as a QJet. and fit the air cleaner.