PDA

View Full Version : help converting to fuel inj.

DJ Mabe
05-18-2005, 06:23 AM
Alright guys I need your help. I am a complete idiot when it comes to fuel injection. I don't know where to start and where to end. I have a sbf 408ci with a standard carb running nitrous. What do I need and to do to convert this into a fuel injected motor? The motor is fairly heathy, it made 500hp at the tires w/o nitrous and about 700 with, don't know if that makes a difference of not. Let me know if I need to give you guys more info on this. Thanks for your help.
Derrick

hcar
05-23-2005, 08:17 AM
http://www.twminduction.com/v8_kits/v8_kits-FR.html

SatisTraction
06-30-2005, 04:59 AM
i am a ford racer and i think you would be happy with a stock EFI wiring harness from any 89-93 model mustang. You will want an A9l computer. an edelbrock vic jr carb intake converted to EFI, a 90mm race throttle body, 42 lb injectors, and custom dyno tune/chip burn.

coast high performace makes a spyder intake that is complete but i would not use it. It cost too much and the fuel rails have issues. Edeldbrock makes there own and have a fuel rail kit for it. look at the summit racing website for it.

DJ Mabe
06-30-2005, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll check both ideas.

Derrick

camcojb
06-30-2005, 07:30 AM
I like the idea above other than I'd use a larger injector. The stock 42# injectors on my Lightning were done by 450 rwhp, and you're going to be beyond that, especially with the nitrous. They make 50, 55, and 60's that work with the stock computers. I'm running the 60's and they're as smooth as stock and will support 700 rwhp or so.

Jody

DJ Mabe
06-30-2005, 08:14 AM
So which do you think I should use? I am currently at a little over 600hp (at the crank) without the nitrous and close to 800hp with. Do you think the 60 will be to much without and enough with the nitrous. I guess I'm just concerned that I'll be to fat without the nitrous and to lean with it.

Derrick

camcojb
06-30-2005, 09:23 AM
So which do you think I should use? I am currently at a little over 600hp (at the crank) without the nitrous and close to 800hp with. Do you think the 60 will be to much without and enough with the nitrous. I guess I'm just concerned that I'll be to fat without the nitrous and to lean with it.

Derrick

It's all in the tune with the injectors. You do have to make the tune according to injector size, but I'm at 621 rwhp and 708 rwtq in the truck and the 60's idle like a baby. I can make any areas of the fuel mapping as lean or rich as I want.

Jody

DJ Mabe
06-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks for your help Jody.

SatisTraction
06-30-2005, 11:42 AM
if you run a wet kit then you dont really have to worry about it effecting the injector size. you could have wilson manifolds add a spray bar to the intake elbow or even run a fogger kit!!! all you have to do is call up the N.O.S. and they will tell you what fuel jet you need.

you will need a aeromotive A1000 pump and regulator. be careful about what injector you buy. some injectors will require special drivers to be run from the stock computer.

i would also register on www.corral.net and hardcore50.com and ask them.

chris

SatisTraction
06-30-2005, 11:47 AM
oh yea, i am running a 418w. i built it carb'd to make it simple!! it runs some 10.20's on pump gas!!!

Fuelie Fan
06-30-2005, 07:01 PM
I was gonna say the same thing as SatisTraction, running a wet kit should ease the burden on your injectors. The wider a hp range they need to cover, the more difficult it is to get driveability. Jody's been doing this for a long time and can make his car run sweet with little effort cuz he's a pro, but it may not be so easy for a self-described newbie. PLUS, you're car is naturally aspirated, which means you're probably making that kind of power using a fairly radical cam, at least compared to whatever is in his Lightning (I'm guessing the majority of his power increases were through freeing up the inlet flow and raising boost, yes?). Lopey cams and poor vacuum can be a headache at times.
Also, whoever you buy your system from should be able to advise you on injector type (high or low impedance). Of course injector size will depend on if you do go wet or dry with the nitrous.