PDA

View Full Version : steering column

68400BIRD
09-09-2010, 05:27 AM
I'm not sure where this belongs. So feel free to move if needed. I need to replace the lower bearing in my 1968 non tilt Firebird steering column. I can find tilt bearings and Rick's has one for a 1968 Camaro but it has two mounting screws on the face of the bearing. My bearing does not have any screws on it. I also found a thread online where someone commented that you could get a 1969 bearing to work with a little modification. But it did not tell you what needed to be done. Does anyone have any ideas?? Thanks!

68400BIRD
02-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Thought I would follow up on this now that my column is fixed. This was a very easy fix. Like I mentioned above all I did was buy a 1969 non tilt lower bearing. I removed the old bearing from the original plastic retainer. I grabbed a little sanding drum that I had with my dremel. I slowly worked the sanding drum on the inside of the reatiner where the old bearing fit tight. After sanding and checking several times I had a nice tight fitting with the 69 non tilt bearing. Easy fix and the most cost effective.