PDA

View Full Version : Forced Induction 101?

GRNOVA
09-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Can you guys help I am trying to understand Forced induction. I am running an LS2 with a KB 2.8 liter S/C.
(These are items I have purchased already)
What is needed for best results as an all around car,street, strip auto x, and cruisn'. As far as differences between air to air/air to liquid inter cooler-which is better. Terminology anything! I want to start plumbing my Nova and want to lay everything out and hear opinions I am tired of purchasing items and finding out they don't work or I should have done this instead. What should I stay away from?
Let the class begin

GRNOVA
09-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Sorry should in Forced induction forum... Mods can you please move

aronhk_md
09-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Here's a post from another forum where I was replying to someone else who wanted a laundry list of things to do to build a turbo car. Obviously things like turbo headers wont apply to a supercharged car. Many of the items will though.

"On top of what Jeff mentioned you'll need gauges....A/F, boost.......fuel pressure and EGT are nice, but not sure they are necessary to start. Also, you'll need a good fuel pump if you dont have one.

He mentioned the boost controller, but you might also want to think about what type of ignition management you want. If I understand correctly you can just mechanically take timing out to compensate for the reduced timing you'll need under boost, but the ideal way is to have it electronically pulled when under boost, and there are systems that can do it.

I'd stick with a single turbo....less investment, just as good for 98% of what you are trying for.

Sounds like you could get away without it initially, so you could always add an intercooler or meth injection at a later date.

Draw up a list:

Turbo
Headers
blow through carb
carb hat
aluminum piping/connectors/clamps
boost controller
wastegate
blow off valve
gauges-at least air fuel ratio, fuel pressure and boost....add EGT if poss.
ignition
fuel pump
adjustable fuel regulator set up for boost
cam (if you choose to change it initially)

There may be more, but thats a start. Some of those items can be simple or expensive and complex depending on initial budget. Make a page for each item and start adding what you know/questions you have/pricing and details as you find out more.....until you reach a decision on each item."

CarlC
09-07-2010, 08:09 PM
What engine, fuel system, EFI?, etc. Need details.

GRNOVA
09-08-2010, 01:47 AM
Carl,
I am running a 408 ci Lingenfelter LS2
15cc dished diamond pistons
Oliver rods and Callies crank
4l80e trans
ricks SS tank with in tank A1000 fuel pump
It will be a fuel injected liquid cooled S/C
will need throttle body, injectors, I want to know from other peoples expirences what type of inter cooler, liquid or air which should I use for my application.

aronhk_md
09-09-2010, 03:33 PM
air/air intercoolers are generally more street oriented but will not reduce temps as much as a air/liquid intercooler. But liquid ones usually have a reservoir you need to fill with cold water/ice......so it becomes more track oriented in its normal configuration...unless you keep ice in your back pocket.

Not to say some people havent come up with interesting ideas for the liquid type for street use.

In my case I use water/methanol injection under boost to assist my air/air intercooler in cooling things. But mine's a turbo, and I have it set presently to kick on at 40% boost.

CarlC
09-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Do you have just the supercharger, or do you have the manifold as well? Complete kit? If you have the manifold then it likley has a high-temperature heat-exchanger in it. That a liquid/air setup.

How much power are you planning on making? That will determine the injector rating.

Personally, I would stay small on the cam. A Lingenfelter GT2-3 or GT9 would work well.

With an A1000 you will have a lot of pump. You may want to consider a fuel pump speed controller to slow things down and keep the fuel cool.

GRNOVA
09-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Yes I have the entire kit with the heat exchanger.
So after reading ALOT the way I was going to run it is wrong. I have 2 fittings coming out of the rear of the manifold from the heat exchanger I think I need to run those upto two more heat exchangers on either side of my radiator in a loop. Then the cold air intake side I will run two tubes out under either side of the wheel wells to scoops on the outside of the fender (these are my plans anyway just need to figure out how to do it)
Don't i need 55 psi for FI?
I have a drawing I will post.