PDA

View Full Version : Colorshift paint - over the top?

JLM
05-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Okay I'm about half a month from sending the car to paint prison. I've narrowed the color choices down to 2. The bottom of the car will be Ford Triple Black. The top of the car will be either PPG Harlequin Red to Blue or the Scion Black Cherry Pearl.

I had the blue-red PPG sprayed on my black 2002 Mustang when I had it. The color looked fantastic against the black however it was an extreamly small portion of the hood that was painted. I'm wondering if the entire top of a large car like a firebird would be a little too much. The color shift is from a very deep cobalt (I would almost call it purple) to a bright red. Depending on the direction of view it does have some burnt oranges, yellows and greens as well. Primarily the color will look either a deep red or deep purplish-blue.

Any input would be great.

Car will have bright polished CCW classics. It will retain the factory chrome pieces as well.

Happyfunballs
05-17-2005, 10:22 AM
I'm a huge fan of the chamelon colors. But, I think it's possible to over-do it. I'd do maybe half a car or something, but it would need to be the right color combo to do the whole thing.

Travis B
05-17-2005, 11:09 AM
Those colors look good in stripes or graphics to break up two colors or something but never over the whole car in my opinion!

JLM
05-17-2005, 11:36 AM
Those colors look good in stripes or graphics to break up two colors or something but never over the whole car in my opinion!

This was exactly my thinking actually. It did look very good on my mustang but having the upper half of a considerably larger car entirely painted in teh stuff may be overboard.

Perhaps I'll just go with the deep cherry. Perhaps I could find a candy that is quite dark. I'm not sure how the pearl will look on a gloss black.

Jagarang
05-17-2005, 12:02 PM
It is only half the car, I almost went the Harlequin White which is bitchin, but have you seen the price of that stuff!! Thats what sealed the deal for me....OUCH!

RobM
05-17-2005, 10:15 PM
for some reason i only like that paint on a 60's GTO