PDA

View Full Version : Installing Subframe Connectors - how to level body

brockb455
09-06-2010, 07:19 AM
My garage floor is NOT level. Is there a simple way to make sure the body and frames are level and aligned before I weld the Protouring Subframe Connectors?

I apolgize if this is a stupid question.

Brockb455

MrQuick
09-06-2010, 12:53 PM
not a stupid question at all....

I am assuming its an f body of some sort. Don't forget that you will need a solid connection between the body and subframe with either solid or no bushings.

You don't really need it perfectly level as long as you car is solidly planted and the connectors go in square as in relation to each other and to the body. If its not on a frame table I like to put them in with the car on its wheels. ie: drive on rack.

But you can check level at the front subframe horns between the rad support and a arm mounts and at the rear frame rails between the tubs. Set these up and then check the body level at the rockers and verify level at the firewall and trunk pan.

As you stated you have an uneven floor, you can shim the jack stands to get it all level. Mock them in, verify level then tack and repeat, try not to get the body areas too hot while welding. 2 nice things about Dave's connectors are the mounts are large and you have alot of surface area to weld on and they can be bolted on. I normally recommend bolting them in to get the fitment right then weld them in, remove the bolts and plug weld the bolt holes.

67zo6Camaro
09-06-2010, 02:12 PM
As stated above.... you can also use a clear hose with water in it to help find level corners of the jacking points. This makes it easier to cross ck all cornes with out trying to use traditional levels with strings and or finding a clear level spot on the car. A clear hose with water can be long enought to reach all corners. Then fill up with water and hold each end of the hose up past a consistant marking line. Use the water level at each end to determind the natural level. Its an old construction trade trick for hard to access level areas. In addition, make sure you only tack weld 3 triangle spots all over your support attachment areas before final weld. This helps secure trueness prior to adding major welding heat that may warp your alignment that you spent some much time setting up. Good luck.