PDA

View Full Version : LS1 + unisteer kit + oil pan

demo
09-06-2010, 12:33 AM
deat all

my ls1 oil(camaro) pan hits the unisteer rack on my 69bird ,any suggestions to solve this problem ?

regards ,,,

LowBuckX
09-06-2010, 12:03 PM
where does it hit. cant the motor be moved back to clear? dunno hard to come up with something with out visual.

69bigblock
09-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Had that problem also. Get a box..

NOGO
09-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Had that problem also. Get a box..

x2...Unisteer = JUNK

69bigblock
09-07-2010, 01:03 PM
The rack hit the oil pan/ block. Tried to ground some things down but still hit. I even added spacers under the frame stands too raise the engine which did help. It was still binding and hitting the block. The rack was not designed to fit with the LSx engines. I had it in my car with the BBC and it worked good and had no complaints..

LowBuckX
09-07-2010, 08:57 PM
x2...Unisteer = JUNK
Could you stop with the Unisteer bashing. His application has nothing to do with your troubles. BTW Unisteer/Maval racks reside in many many aftermarket and OEM applications. Including many of the offferings by this sites sponsors.

NOGO
09-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Could you stop with the Unisteer bashing. His application has nothing to do with your troubles. BTW Unisteer/Maval racks reside in many many aftermarket and OEM applications. Including many of the offferings by this sites sponcers.

Maybe I was assuming Unisteer made the product to fit his application. :idea: I am not bashing when a company makes a less than stellar product that does not work properly, does not stand behind it, and I have the proof to back it up (and I am not alone).

I really dont care if the site sponsors use their products. I wont hijack this thread any more than I have already so if you want to discuss it further please shoot me a PM.

demo
09-09-2010, 01:47 PM
thanks guys for the replay

is there any solution to fit unisteer with lsx engin ?

regards

killer69
09-10-2010, 07:12 AM
we have headers made by Stainlessworks that fit BB SB and LS with the unisteer rack and allow a 2 joint shaft. also have the oils pan that fits.
we have done MANY unisteer racks and have had 0 problems.
we have even approached unisteer to offer our headers as an option to there fitment issues with the headers. but they are in the steering business not the header business

69bigblock
09-11-2010, 04:58 AM
When I had my R&P in my car headers were not an issue. The fittings were hitting the pan and the block. I tries to grind down a boss that was on the block which helped. Also the u-joint coming off the rack was hitting the block itself. I also raised the engine 1/2" which spacers and still would not work. So I'm wondering how you made the R&P (power) fit with all the issues that I had with hitting the block itself?

meenaggie
09-11-2010, 06:23 AM
Blake is attaching the Unisteer rack to the Speedtech subframe. The Speedtech subframe is designed to specifically use the Unisteer rack. I assume that is what is making it fit. I assume you are using a stock subframe.

69bigblock
09-11-2010, 09:37 AM
I am using the stock frame. If thats the case and the speed-tech frame makes a better fit when using the R&P and LS1 which things fit good. Just don't want anyone to think by reading this post that it will fit and make the wrong asumption.. If it does fit with the stock frame then I would like to know how they did it..

Rod
09-11-2010, 10:44 AM
?? :confused: ?? I don't believe the problem is unisteers, like most manufactures I work with, we build a BASELINE, the rack was probably based on a stock frame, stock engine, stock oil pan, stock exhaust manifolds, stock rubber engine mounts, on a stock frame....
then adjustment to the mounting design to compensate for headers(only a few-to many options to work with) another adjustment for engine mounting(rubber, urethane, solid) another adjustment for oil pans(again only a few-to many options to work with)
when we start slapping LS motors, tube frames, and so on, we have stepped outside the baseline and at that point we need to fabricate products we buy to fit our designed from scratch cars

vannatta20
09-12-2010, 06:41 AM
Buying the unisteer with my ls1 swap was my biggest mistake. Not really unisteers fault since there are so many variables with our build but the mounting location is truly horrible. Sitting behind the engine crossmember is in the way of most oil pans and puts it very close to the headers. We ended up modify the unisteer mount to clear the notched oil pan. Also we had to heavily modify the headers as well. I should have found out what engine package fits the unisteer first before ordering. To much money for what I thought would be the best steering package.

killer69
09-12-2010, 07:40 PM
the LS block does have some fitment issue with the unisteer fittings, we moved the motor 3/4" to the pass side to rectify the issue with our sub frame.
i agree there ar a million variables and Unisteer would be wise to updat the produce or offer some different motor mounts to address the issue, but we are not unisteer, we made the change needed to our product so theirs would work,

to say it is a bad product is a bit harsh we have honestly had very fey issues with unisteer products, their ujoins have by far the most angularity and the best retention method.
the feel is good i don't need to defend them but we chose to use the product and there fore it is important to hear from someone who uses alot of it and not just the isolated case that has alot of variables to consider including the expertise of the installer. as well as the associated parts list.
here is wha i used on ResurreXion our Nova and it works anf feels great
unisteer Camaro rack
unisteer u joints and shaft. (you must pay special attention to the installation of the ujoints and the phasing you may have to adjust it a couple times to get it perfect but they need to be phased approx 45 deg )
Lee bluprintder TC series pump with a 2GPH valve ( i may actually change to a 1.8 GPH valve to firm up he steering a bit more)
lee inline filert and lee resivoir
Earls cooler mounter infront of the rad
after priming the system for about 2 mins put the belt on and never looked back.
our LS series headers ( that will also fit the stock sub frame
but i woud suggest modifying the motor mounts to move the motor over.
we are designing some rigth now actually

demo
10-02-2010, 01:10 PM
thanks for the very informative post ,,,i am going for a turbo so most probebly am not gonna need the headers , may i ask what brand of oil pans do u use or suggest to fit with unisteer R&P ? and what engine mounts?

thanks and regards
mohannad

dj3
02-26-2011, 03:06 PM
What solution did you come up with? I have a speedtech Subframe and Im having the exact same problem with the banjo fitting hitting the pan.