PDA

View Full Version : global west upper a-arm issue ??

67 455 Bird ragtop
09-05-2010, 01:09 PM
I just started to FINALLY install the front suspension on my 67 'Bird. I started with the upper control arms. I have Global West tubular arms with the Del-A-lum bushings. bushings. I started with the passenger side with no issue. But, when I went to install the drivers side I discovered that the inside part of the rear bushing was making contact with the control arm mount. It wouldn't allow me to tighten up the not on the mounting bolt. It looks like the control arm is installed too far forward on the shaft. Is this possible?? My wife has our camera in her truck. Once she gets home I'll post some pics of all four mounting points of the controll arms so you can visually see what I'm talking about.

Logic says I can loosen the front nut and tighten the rear nut to adjust the clearence and get the arm better aligned on teh shaft. But logic doesn't always play out properly in these sort of things.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

67 455 Bird ragtop
09-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Ok here are some pics. They are as follows:
Driver's rear - Where the contact is made.
Driver's front, Passenger front, and passenger rear.

ROBS6T8
09-05-2010, 02:53 PM
The only issue that I could possibly see happen is allowing enough room for the cotter pin. Other than that, I see nothing. I'll be watching this to see what happens. I just did the G Mod to mine and now I'm thinking of tubular upper A arms. yeah, I already cut the mounting ears off! oh well can't tell unless you're looking for it.

Dr.Corvette
09-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Here are pictures of my 67 Firebird with GW upper arms. As you can see clearance is good. I don't think you can loosen and tighten the shaft nuts to center the arm. The shafts have shoulders. It seems to me your upper mounting holes are shifted. Production tolerances? Maybe.

MrQuick
09-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Ok here are some pics. They are as follows:
Driver's rear - Where the contact is made.
Driver's front, Passenger front, and passenger rear.
you should be ok once you get a nice stack of alignments shims in there.

sometimes you have to trim the mount if the g mod has been done.
also keep in mind that the arms go up quite a bit when at ride height.
vince

David Pozzi
09-05-2010, 09:02 PM
You will have at least one or two shims in there once it's aligned.
It's hard to see if it's hitting along the tube, it it is, you can probably bump the bracket sides back with a hammer a little.
David

Rick Dorion
09-06-2010, 02:35 AM
Ah yes, production tolerances. The mounting holes on my 68 differ by 1/4" causing the same interference you have, just on the opposite side. With alignment shims it lessened but I also used my die grinder to slightly clearance the edge. As a point of reference, I have 1" of shims in the front and 3/4" shims in the rear to get -.75 degrees camber and positive 5.25 degrees caster.

67 455 Bird ragtop
09-06-2010, 05:38 AM
I forgot about the shims. I'll see if I can find a few to give a little clearance to finish the install.

Keith
09-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Yes, As others have said, the shims (most likely even a 1/16" shim will work) will solve your problem.